What's new

12x11 foot room - Too small for projector? (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
So I have a 46" Toshiba 720 DLP that I'm selling for $500 in Toledo local pickup.

I currently sit only about 6 feet away from it. It feels small.

I watch HD-DVDs, XBOX360, PS2, and Nintendo Wii on it. I don't care what cable looks like. I was looking to upgrade to a 56-60" DLP this xmas.

Then I looked at the Panasonic AX100, and then the AE1000U.

Is my room too small for a projector? I plan to move this into my house whenever I move, but that may not be soon.

I just miss the "wow" and "enveloping" factor I used to get when watching movies. I'm not sure if I want it ALL that big for video games though, I might get dizzy (??).

I'm sure people even think a 60-65" TV would be too close from 6-9 feet away, but with HD-DVDs and HD gaming - I have a feeling it'd be fine.

With a projector, I can sit about 10 feet away from the screen with a re-arrange of equipment.

Budget is $4000.

Thanks,
ELmO

i have a 96inch screen and my room is 12ft wall to wall. HD72 is the name and its 720p 96" is where your gonna max out with this one from 12 feet. it will run you about $1500 with screen. once you go projector you never go back.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'd also recommend a projector. A screen size of 90-96" diagonal is right for a 10' seating distance. Do you have any special problems such as a low ceiling, light control problem? I assume you want to stick with a DLP projector?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'd also recommend a projector. A screen size of 90-96" diagonal is right for a 10' seating distance. Do you have any special problems such as a low ceiling, light control problem? I assume you want to stick with DLP?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'd also recommend a projector. A screen size of 90-96" diagonal is right for a 10' seating distance. Do you have any special problems such as a low ceiling or a light control problem? I assume you want to stick with DLP?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'd also recommend a projector. A screen size of 90-96" diagonal is right for a 10' seating distance. Do you have any special problems such as a low ceiling or a light control problem? I assume you want to stick with DLP?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have a 92" screen at 11' wall-to-wall. The screen-size is fine but projector/seating placement is an issue. It is in a rental-house spare bedroom so celing mount wasn't a real option. It ended up on an end table inbetween two chairs. My wife doesn't think the chairs are comfortable and won't spend much time in that room. Ceiling mount + couch would work out much better.

In a month or so we're moving into our first house and there's a 3rd floor bonus room that will be a dedicated home theater. That room is 14' x 20' and i'll have it set up along the 14' wall. I'll be using a 100" Ultra electric pull-down screen and Panasonic AE900u ceiling mounted w/ a couch. Other equipment includes Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver, Swans Diva 4.1 mains, C3 center, 2.1 surrounds, Ascend Avalanche / Bass 500w DIY sub, Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player (HDMI), and Motorola HD-DVR (DVI-to-HDMI). I've ran component and HDMI in wall but I'll only be needing the HDMI to the projector. If I ever get a PS3 I'll likely drop down to component from the HD-DVR (since the Yamaha only has 2 hdmi-ins) and let the Yamaha convert that to HDMI.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Also, with your budget you could pretty easily get the AE1000u which is 1080p as well as a pretty good screen. The AX100u or AE900u would be a great choice if you wanted to come well under budget but both are 720p. My next projector will likely be the AE1000u but probably in a couple of years when the next model is out and the prices are lower and/or there are plenty on the used market.

dstuben

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug Stubenbordt
Elmo,

I just picked up an AE1000U a couple of days ago and I'm shellshocked! I'm running on a 106" screen and my viewing position is 9' from the screen and it looks amazing! I have no complaints. I play Xbox360 games on this screen and I don't have trouble there either. I have that same attitude that you have about wanting the screen to look expansive and huge - like the spectacle of your first moviegoing experience as a child.

I upgraded from an InFocus SP4805 and was very bothered by the screendoor effect. I can see it a mile away and it was the main deterrent from truly enjoying my home theater. But when I lit up the Panasonic, no screen door effect! If you stand right next to the screen, you start to notice a softened screendoor pattern, but remember - that's less than a foot from the screen. I also noticed, or rather have failed to notice any rainbows with the Panasonic. While they weren't too distracting on the InFocus, I still noticed from time to time.

Good luck!

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Thanks for that comment.

I'm still deciding on the 1000u vs ax100u.

I have the following equipment now:
Toshiba 46" DLP
Sony PS2 (Component/optical)
XBOX 360 (Component/optical)
Nintendo wii (Component)
Sony PS3 (HDMI/optical)
Toshiba HD-DVD A1 (HDMI/Optical/Analog out)
EMO UL Pre processor/Amplifier, Onix Rockets, SVS Sub

My TV must go. In fact I'm selling it for $500 local pickup (in 43617 toledo or near cleveland).

I have an HDMI switcher and an optical/component switcher - both auto sensing - I think I need a new HDMi switcher though if I get OTA HD - dang.

I NEED A PROJECTOR!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks