What's new

12volt trigger from receiver to amp (1 Viewer)

Mike Likens

Stunt Coordinator
Is there anyway to use the switched outlets on a receiver to power up an external amp with a 12v input without directly plugging the amp into the receivers switched outlet? Can a twelve volt adapter be plugged in the switched outlet and a signal sent to the amp to turn it on? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I am going to try some kind of 12volt adapter plugged into the back of my pre/pro, which in turn will connect to my amp. Should work.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Mike,
First, I wud imagine your ext amp needs to come w/ a trigger plug outlet, typically 3.5mm mini-phono type. Outlaw, Rotel and Anthem amps have remote trigger options.
Legairre! Last I looked you were using a 12VDC 300ma unit. Your link shows a 1500ma model (might be all RS carries now, I dont know)
I will relate a problem I had w/ my RS 12VDC 500ma plugged in my Yamaha switched outlet to Anthem MCA5 trigger: it produced transformer hiss mainly out of my right main tweeter, and in center and left main tweeters to a lesser extent. I removed it to use the Anthem's built-in AUTO switch on feature.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Bill,

Your right. I was at work when I posted. I'm home now and I just checked. mine is the 300ma model. Sorry for the mistake. Mine seems to work fine. No hissing at all.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Mike,

Check the spec's on your amp and see how many volts it needs to be triggered. With my Rotel RMB-1066 I hooked up a 6v(300ma) and it worked fine.

Kevin

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Legairre,
Why are you using the AC to DC converter instead of the 3.5 mm plug in the Rotel? I'm asking because I can't get my 1075 to go into standby, or at least I think I can't, because there is no indication that it is or isn't in standby, and the manual says nothing about any visual indication... :frowning:

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Dennis,

I use the AC/DC converter because my receiver doesn't have a 12v trigger. The plug on the AC/DC converter is a mini plug that goes into the amps 12v trigger input. On the back of my 1095 is a switch that you have to flip when using the 12v trigger. The only indication that I get that it's in standby is that the amp makes a loud click when I turn off the receiver. When I turn on the receiver the amp clicks again and all the system check lights come on then go off. You know the lights that check each channel. Does the 1075 have a 12 switch on the back that you need to flip? This tell my amp to use the 12v trigger to startup or the power button.

StevieC

Grip
Is there a certain amperage that should be used with those RS 12VDC adapter ? Since the 300ma worked but the 500ma caused the hiss, will the higher 1500ma cause this hiss ? I could try but I haven't bought my amp yet :)

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Legairre,

The switch is on, I've checked the levels coming out of the receiver (18 VDC, but Rotel says anything between 3 and 30 will do), but the amp does nothing special when I turn the receiver on and off. The channel LEDs won't come on and off, like when you turn the amp off. Does the amp's power cord have to come from the receiver's switched outlet, by chance...? It didn't think it had to.

I'm very curious about this behaviour, and I want to find out what's happening, but I guess there's no harm to the amp if it's always on, is there?

Van_H

Auditioning
Dennis,

You might want to check the receiver's setup menu. I use the Rotel 1075 with a Marantz receiver and it works just fine. I'm not sure what pre/pro you are using, but the Marantz must be setup in the DC trigger menu where you can select the input (e.g., DVD, CD) to trigger the amp.

Mike Likens

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses. I believe I received the information I need. It sounds like what I want to do will work. I'm using an Elite VSX24TX receiver and a Rotel 1075 amp. Unfortunately my amp is on backorder - what a bummer! Only one other question. There seems to be 3 different ratings for these 12v adapters 300,500 and 1500. Does the Rotel manual state exactly what you need?

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Dennis,

By no means plug the amp into the receiver's switched outlet. You could power a DVD or CDplayer from there, but the amp will damage your receiver. Does the amp make any sounds when you turn it off. Like a click?

Steve,

I contacted Rotel and they said to use between 3 - 30v with a ma rating between 100 and 300. Now that's for the 1095. I'm not sure about the 1075.

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Van_H,

I've set up the Marantz 7200 that I'm using as pre/pro so that it outputs the 12V level, and I've double-checked with a multimeter that it's there when I turn the rcvr on and off. I've even set the two 12V triggers on the 7200 differently to see if the DC level worked only with those sources that I selected, and everything is working fine.

Legairre,

The 1075 may be clicking when I turn the rcvr on, I'll verify tonight. The 7200 clicks when turned on and off, and maybe that's why I haven't noticed if the 1075 does the same thing.

Thanks for the support, guys.

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Legairre,

Weel, guess what? The 1075 does click when the receiver is turned on and off. I just couldn't hear it because the receiver also clicks pretty loud.

I guess that solves the puzzle of finding out if it goes or not to standby.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Dennis,

Glad to hear it's working. I was just going to tell you that when my amp is in standby it's ICE and I mean like a cold piece of metal. When it's powered up even at volumes for watching the news it's luke warm.

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
Instead of the using the 12volt trigger, Sears sells an auto switch. Plug your receiver into one outlet, the when you turn the receiver on it will energize the other two outlets on this unit. A few people on this board say it works great and only cost $20. Check the Sears web site.

TedO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks