12ga spkr wire question: RS vs Home Depot

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kurt B, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

I'm at the point where I will run my speaker wire for the HT i'm constructing. Went to both Home Depot and Radio Shack tonite to check on pricing on bulk wiring. RS has 12ga for $1 a foot while HD was at 34 cents a foot. I seriously expected them to be close in pricing but....

Question is, is there that much difference? Naked eye inspection didn't show much difference.

Thanks,

Kurt

2. Rich Pascarelli

Rich Pascarelli Auditioning

I have compared RS and HD prices for several items in the past and have always found HD to be much better priced. I have no doubt that is the case here too. The only other thing to check is if the one from RS was shielded but I don't think that would be the case.

Are you running 2 or 4 conductor?

Rich

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Are you going with UL approved wire for in-wall wiring?? I'd for sure go with the HD wire.

4. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

The wiring is indeed UL approved for in wall deployment. I'm doing the entire construction project to code [​IMG]
    Looks like HD is my next stop tonite.
    Thanks all
    Kurt

5. Loring

Loring Stunt Coordinator

I know this isn't quite on topic with this thread but want to ask.. What department in Home Depot has speaker wire and such. I have been to my local HD and havent seen anything other then alarm wire.

Thanks in advance.

~Loring

6. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Loring - Go to the electrical section. If you can't find it there then flag down someone to help you. It's usually in the same isle as all the other wires, but not right next to regular electrical wiring (since they probably don't want people to get the two mixed up).