1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

12ga In-wall speaker wire vs. 12 ga regular speaker wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomK, Aug 8, 2001.

1. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up some 12 ga in-wall speaker wire for new runs to bi-amp my NHT 2.5i's. I already have 12 ga regular speaker wire in another location. I'm wondering if there is any sonic difference between these wires. If not, given the smaller girth of in-wall wire why don't we just use that all the time. Any opinions?
    Tom

2. Steve Bourgeois

Funny you should mention that...
    I bought some in-wall wire to wire up my living room and used the leftovers to make cables to connect my receiver to the speaker wall plate.
    I liked the compact size and tough insulation jacket much better than the "regular" speaker wire I had been using.
    Throw in some banana plugs from Radio Shack, and I now have the nicest speaker cables that I've ever had!
    I have no idea if there is a sonic difference, but the aesthetic differences are nice.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

In-wall wire is spec'd for that application with fire control in mind. Normal speaker wire could potentially act like a fuse and let a fire spread throughout a wall, whereas in-wall cable is not subject to that kind of burn (at least as I understand it). I have even heard that your insurance coverage could be void if using normal speaker wire and there is related fire damage. The sonic comparison would, like anything, depend on the company you choose. Notable cable manufacturers like IXOS and Monster make in-wall class products, so you can expect solid performance either way.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

12 guage copper wire is 12 guage copper wire for moving electrons.
    Home Depot has 12 guage in-wall twisted wire for around 20 cents per foot. A good value.

5. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

That's as I pretty much figured. I just seems to me that if there is no sonic difference then it's just easier to use the in-wall stuff. It would hide much better if you had to run it around a room. I did get the Home Depot 12ga in-wall wire and will be installing it soon.
    Jay,
    I have heard that there are some insurance companies that mught make an issue of the regular stuff used in wall if it could be proven that the fire did indeed travel along the jacket. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
    Tom

6. Doug Broccone

Hey Jay,
    Where's ...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."
    from?

7. Steve Bourgeois

>Home Depot has 12 guage in-wall twisted wire for around 20 cents per foot. A good value.
    Wow, pretty cheap.
    The thickest in-wall speaker wire my local Home Depot had was only 16 gauge for some reason. I just ended up getting 12 gauge via mail-order for about the same price.
    Steve

8. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Don't forget that the thicker the insulator, the bigger the distance between the conductors. The smaller cable will therefore have a higher capacitance than the cable with thick insulation.

10. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

11. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer