What's new

12ft X 10ft HT (1 Viewer)

ScottMalito

Auditioning
I am thinking of building a 12ft length X 10ft width HT. Is this to small of a room? I am planing on using the Infocus 4805 projector. I want a 92 inch screen. I have a few questions.

1) Am I going to have problems with the sound? Would it be better to leave a portion of the room open?

2) Is it going to be to warm in the room?

Thank you,
Scott

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Scott, the 4805 has the following physical dimensions... 4.2"H x 9.8"W x 12.9" depth. Since it is ported/vented at the front, you can mount it up against the back wall which would place the lens of the projector approx 10'11" from the screen. This would result in a maximum 16x9 screen size of 86".

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Scott, I'm confused about your questions. Do you mean problems with the surround sound due to room size/shape?
And question #2, I don't know what you mean?
What will your seating distance be, about 10 feet? A 92" screen is a little big for a 10' seating distance(if 10' is correct).
Neil, did you take into account leaving about 6" behind projector for the cables?

ScottMalito

Auditioning
I do mean surround sound due to room size and shape.

For Question #2 I was wondering if the projector is going to put out to much heat and make the room very warm if it was full enclosed.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
In some ways, I imagine that the 'micro' home theaters might be more satisfying. For one thing, it's probably easier to make it 'loud' - less volume of air to move. I'm not sure what having a tiny space does to very low frequencies (longer than the room) - I haven't read that part of the acostics books recently.

Leo

chris_everett

Second Unit
I have a fairly small room as well, and I would recommend that you have some sort of air-flow. Between 2 or three people, the projector and amps, it will get fairly warm without some air exchange.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I think you're worrying about something that may not even be a problem. But if it does get too warm in there, you can just use a small fan.

chris_everett

Second Unit
If you have a central HVAC system, I would connect the room to that, if it's not already, if you don't have one you could

1. Leave part of the room open, as mentioned in your first post. That alone would probably be enough

2. Install a duct fan between that room and another

3. Stick a box fan in the door, set to low

What to do depends a lot on your local climate, the rest of your house, etc...

As Jim said, you may not even have a problem, But I would at least leave your options open if you do.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Worry, because it will get hot and uncomfortable very fast. My first HT room was 10'x12'x8' (converted extra bedroom). Between my amps, RPTV (not even a PJ) and a few bodies it got very warm, very fast.

A small fan will not work, it will just circulate warm air. Also, trying to blow in cool air will not work very well either. You need to install an exhaust fan to remove the warm air, this will inturn draw in cool air.

Here's a few examples of what I did in my theaters...

For my old bedroom theater I went into the attic and disconnected the heater vent just past the register and installed an 8" turbo fan. I wired it up to a switch in the room. The fan extracted the hot air into the attic and drew in cool air.

For my current theater (in the garage with a front projector), I installed a vent opening in the front of the room down near the floor under the screen. In the back of the room up near the ceiling, I installed an exhaust fan. The exhaust fan draws out the hot air and pulls in the cool outside air. With the projector running, 8 people in the room and all the gear (including 6 amps) running the room stays nice and cool, it works great.

You will need some sort of air exchange system in your room.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm converting a bedroom with similar dimensions (and using the 4805!). I didn't give much thought to the ventilation issue, but I don't plan on having that as the viewing room for guests, so it will just be me. I'll be keeping a fan handy though.

ScottMalito

Auditioning
I live in Colorado and we hot summers and cold winters. I will need to figure how to get some sort of air exhange. Or if I leave a 5ft opeing towards the back on one wall will that be enough?
Will this cause a problem with sorround sound?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Openings will work, sort of, but you need something that will move the air through the room. Fans are noisy. At one time I tried one of those box floor fans set to low and it was very noisy, not something I'd recommend.

Can't really comment on your surround sound issue. It depends on your set-up and layout of the room, but, you shouldn't have too much of an issue.

chris_everett

Second Unit
Can you post a picture/link of your room plans with this 5' opening? I'm not sure exatly what you have in mind, although any surround sound issues should be solvable.

RE: Box fans. Most box fans, on low, in my experience, are pretty quiet, However, they are big and ugly, and I would generally consider them a temporary measure.

More information would be _very_ helpful in giving you some relevant advice.

Is attic space available?
Do you have an existing forced air system?
Is crawlspace availalbe?
How many exterior walls?
Any windows?
Where does this 5' opening lead?
Does the door lead somewhere else?

Any other information would also be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks