What's new

$1200 receiver/front speakers/dvd - simple (1 Viewer)

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
Been busy all summer long so I haven't been able to keep up with what's what..
My inlaws need a system that is easy to use and nice to look at. Front speakers should be slim towers, possibly with oak endcaps to fit in with solid oak decor...
Please consider they are NOT audio/video - philes
Help please...
Hope my password is right..

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Receiver (up to you but here are a few under $500)
ONKYO TX-DS595
Outlaw Audio Model 1050
Pioneer VSX-D850S (hey, you said they weren't audiophiles and this is receiver has some great options)
For Speakers one question, center channel or not? Anyway
No center:
Axiom Mellinium M40's
With Center
How about Norh?
Edge Audio
DVD: Panasonic RP-56
Depending on the receiver you would be right at about 1200 for everthing. There are some good companies out there for both speakers and receivers, but your constraint of the "wood" look is hard in this price range.
------------------
Have you seen my audio rack?

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
crutchfield has some interesting sony stuff, silver, but might present a nice contrast with the wood. It is hard to match wood on wood.
Also for this situation I'd sugest Bose. they won't notice a difference, and they are after all ... inlaws.
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

BryanZ

Screenwriter
$1,200 for all three. My preference:
Denon AVR-1602 - $300
Panasonic RV-31 - $170
wood nOrh 4.0 package - $775
That is just over your price limit of $1,200 but not by much. You also didn't mention if they have a sub or if that will be taken care of some other way. nOrh may be able to stain the cabinets to be an oak color but the walnut cabinets should look very nice and blend in well with your inlaws decor. You could also go with the DIY ACI Opal mains and Emerald center. That should work very well for them if you can build the cabinets for the speakers.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Where are you finding this magical $300 avr1602. I cant find it for under 359. I am assuming you bought it from an authorized dealer like the denon website advises. :)

BryanZ

Screenwriter
It was from Crazy Eddies. However you should be able to substitute an Onkyo TX-DS494 from JandR and be fine. You may want to try 6ave.com and see if they can give you a deal on the 1602.
[Edited last by BryanZ on October 31, 2001 at 10:48 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread