What's new

$1200 for home theatre speakers.... (1 Viewer)

Thanks again for all of your help.

I went to a local hifi store today and listened to some speakers and receivers.

First, the speakers. Overall, I liked paradigms the best....though I can't decide exactly what to get. I looked at a CC-370 center with a number of different fronts.
I tried the monitor 7's which I really liked...(but if I got these, I would probably hold off on the surrounds), and the Mini Monitors. Honestly, since I do mostly DVD viewing, and less music, I think the Mini Monitors sounded almost just as good up front (when paired with a good sub). With all setups, I had the ADP-370's as surrounds (does anyone know the typical price on these? I think they are going to be a little pricey for me).

If I do the Mini Monitors, and CC-370, I can get a much nicer sub in a PS-1000 than if I go for the monitor 7's (here I would probably be looking at a PDR-10). I asked the, seemingly very knowledgeable, guy that I was working with what he thought....he said for home theatre, he would go with the mini's and a ps-1000. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Second, the receivers (I know this is a little off topic...and should be on the receiver board...but you all have been helpful, so I hope no one minds if I continue on this board.) I listened to a H/K AVR-520, a Yamaha 5590, Kenwood 6070, and a couple others. I found the H/K AVR-520 online for $496....and think that sounds like a pretty good deal. I really dont want to put a lot more than $500 into a receiver, and would appreciate any thoughts....also what is the difference between the AVR-520 and the AVR-525?

Thanks again,
Taylor

Philip A

Agent
Taylor,

As for speakers, have you checked out Dahlquist's line?

I was seriously considering Axiom too, until Marc at Audio Shop (in Ottawa; link below), at my question about other possibilities, suggested I look at them. Apparently not just a few people are picking the Dahls over the Axioms and Paradigms in a-b comparisons in his showroom.

Being in Idaho, I had to make decisions based on other's comments and experiences. I spent about 8 months of local showroom (Polk, Infinity, Phase Tech, Klipsch, Pioneer Elite, etc.) and Internet research.

Well, with about 250 hours on my Dahls I could not tell you how impressed I (and everyone who comes over) am with them. If you have specific questions, please ask, because I could go on and on about what I like about them. So, rather than waste space and time here, I'll just make the suggestion.

As for a receiver, I've been very happy with my Yamaha (the Dahls I bought for the fronts are 4 Ohm and the RX 1200 drives them more than adequately--and I like things very loud now and then). I had an Onkyo (TS 600) but in a/b comparison to the Yammy there was no contest, so I returned it to CC. I would have liked a Pioneer Elite, but the Yamaha was better priced and, at the time, had better features.

Frank's suggestion of the Yammy 811 is great at that price point.

You would do well to at least check out Audio Shop's website and would do even better to talk with Marc himself (if you email him, he'll call you!). He has been fantastic to work with. BTW, my wife will always be grateful to him--his suggestions have led to a happy budget audiophile, and at the same time helped her house look and sound awesome to her, too. That's not always an easy thing to do...

Good luck.
Phil

http://www.audioshop.on.ca/

Mikey B

Stunt Coordinator
Taylor,

I am a big fan of Paradigm, but, and this is a huge but, I really disliked the PS1000 subwoofer. I bought it when I bought my Paradigm Reference Studio's, and the PS1000 was just so boomy sounding, I couldn't live with it. I demo'd five other subs in my same system, and all sounded much better to me than the PS1000. Included in that five was the PDR-12. I would take the PDR-12 AND pay more for it. I have since heard countless other subs, and I have never run into another sub that was as boomy sounding as the PS1000.

The Axiom EP-175 sub is a MUCH better choice than the PS1000 for similar amount of money, IMO. It is musical, with tight fast bass. It isn't the "knock the walls down" type of bass that some people like, but it is very pleasing to me (my brother has this sub).

I don't think you can go wrong with many of the suggestions above, but if it were my $1200, I would by the Axioms or look into the Dalquist line due to Marc's recommendation. The Paradigms would also be on my list, but the dollar and value are worth more when buying from an outfit like the Audioshop in Canada.

I helped my brother put his system together, and we took a chance on Axiom. He loved my Paradigm Studios, but he did not want to spend that kind of money. I dealt with Marc from the Audioshop, and he is everything people say about him. Both my brother and I are extremely impressed with the Axioms. And just for clarification on the Axiom QS-4 surround speakers: they are quadpolar - not bipolar. And in my opinion, they are some of the best surround speakers at any price.

BTW, he uses a Marantz SR-6200 to drive them. They play plenty loud in a small to medium sized room, but be warned that they may not do quite so well in a large room where you like listening at very high volume. If this is the case, and you are interested in Axiom, I would look at the products above the MT-3i (which my brother has). Also, I believe any of the Paradigms will play quite loud and are suitable for large rooms.

Just some more to think about...

Sean L

Stunt Coordinator
Taylor,

For around $1200 on 5 speakers, I'd consider the Kef Q-Series:

KEF Q5s $665
KEF Q1s $345
KEF Q9c $285

Total: $1295

I agree with the others, you'd need a decent receiver to drive them...the Denon 2802 is now available on line for $469, it's makes enough real world power to drive the KEFs.

Before you decide on the Paradigms, you might want to audition the KEFs...I did, and it worked out for me.

Regards,
Sean Lewis
San Ramon, CA
Kef Q7/Q1/Q9c & SVS 25-31PC+ sub
Denon 2802
Toshiba 43" HDTV
Panny CP72 DVD

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
You asked about the difference between the 520 and 525. The 525 replaced the 520. It is basically the same unit that was upgraded with the latest surround processing (DTS, DTS-ES, Dolby EX, etc.)

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
5 nOrh 4.0's ($850 delivered) and an SVS 25-31 ($359) should give you some killer sound for your budget.

"The 525 replaced the 520. It is basically the same unit that was upgraded with the latest surround processing (DTS, DTS-ES, Dolby EX, etc.)"

Do you know what the specific differences are....they both have DTS, DTS-ES, Neo:6 and such.........I dont know about Dolby EX....are those the only differences?

Thanks,
Taylor

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Ah man, Boston Acoustics is left out again! To me they have a nice, lively sound (slightly bright with punchy bass). Quite detailed, especially the "VR" series. Well, I own some so here's my recommendation :).

I don't like using tiny "monitor" speakers (w/woofers less than 5.25") for front mains because even with bass management activated, quite a bit of powerful bass remains. So for the front mains, these bookshelf models: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Produ...=1&SeriesID=19

For rear channels, these matching models with 5.25" woofers: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Produ...=1&SeriesID=19

I think the "CR" series center channel is too small for a typical living room, so here's a "VR" series center instead:
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Produ...=1&SeriesID=16 (if somebody says this speaker uses a "fake" woofer, don't worry about it. It's actually a passive radiator for better bass, but mostly it's there to prevent what's called "lobing". Lobing is when a speaker produces an irregular sound field. In other words, in one seating position the treble sounds great. But two feet over, it sounds muffled. Most center channels using two active woofers & one central tweeter have this problem).

Subwoofer (remember though, you don't HAVE to use one. And in an apartment it's practically impossible.): Um, this will put you over your limit by a hundred bucks but here goes: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Produ...=7&SeriesID=33

And if you don't need a sub immediately? Substitute these floorstanding CRs for the bookshelf front mains. These things have incredible bass (but not boomy) for such skinny speakers: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Produ...=1&SeriesID=19

Infinity: I like their stuff a lot. Their "Entra" series is something you should check out (at Circuit City). And the Entra 10" sub has gotten very good magazine reviews: http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...gory/entra.asp (on the subwoofer page is a link for a Home Theater Magazine Entra review).

Have fun!

LJ

Jason GT

Second Unit
MikeyB: The PS1000 is a bandpass design; the tradeoff is volume for accuracy (in other words -- boomy bass).

As for 520 vs 525:

I guess the biggest ones that I know of:
525 adds DD-EX, and two extra channels of amplification (7 amplified channels versus 5 in the 520).

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
Well, one thing the 525 definitely added was better bass management-- the triple crossover and being able to do bass management on the 5.1 channel inputs...

(Sorry, I don't care about DSP past DD and DTS, so I haven't paid attention to that...)

Me

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
Well I suppose I neglected to mention one important thing in my hasty reply. The 525 is a 7 channel receiver and the 520 is a 5 channel receiver.......that is arguably the most significant difference.

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
I'll throw in another vote for Axiom. I have the M60's, QS8's, VP150 and the EP175. I have them with my Yamaha RX-V1300. I couldn't be happier. Marc is the ultimate listener and question answerer.

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure what the Totem Dreamcatchers go for in the US, but I'm sure its not much more than $1200. If you listen to these I'm sure you'll agree there is something special about them that very few speakers poses. If I was to compare them to something, it would be Paradigm Studio's or maybe PMC.

Totem is definitely a speaker built for music but does HT well also.

OK,

Here is what I have come up with. After visting every quality audio store I can find in my area, and listening to various speakers from infinity, B&W, Paradigm, JMLabs, NHT, and a couple of others, the sound I liked best was that of B&W and Paradigm. I am going to listen to some energy's, and possibly some QEFs and then try to make a decision.

I am leaning toward the Paradigm still, as the comprable B&Ws are more expensive. Now, I am thinking that I want to go ahead and get the Monitor 7's (around $650). These paired with a CC-370 ($315) center produce a really good home theatre sound, and the Monitor 7's sound great by themselves as stereo speakers.

This leaves me with not much for surrounds and a sub. I think I can use my current speakers temporarily for surrounds, but I am wondering what people think about possibilities for subs (preferably budget ones). I have a little over $300 left in my budget for it....should I wait, or are there good options out there?

Thanks For ALL your help.

Taylor

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Taylor,

I highly suggest you go to the "hardware for sale" area. There's a guy selling his Paradigm Studio 20's(great speakers) for $425. That would give you about $200 more for a subwoofer. IMO, a quality sub is what makes HT so fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks