$1200 for center + mains + sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_GB, May 5, 2002.

1. Michael_GB

Michael_GB Auditioning

Hi,

I have been reading this forum for almost a year now and I have finally registered.

?

I have a friend with a yamaha rxv-800 who has asked me to put together a pair of main speakers, a center and a sub for $1200 or less. As he is new to home theater, he does not have any pre-existing biases on speaker brands, types, or sizes.

What I am hoping for is some recommendations. I have been looking at setups from paradigm, nht, B & W, PSB, monitor audio, Def techs, and Boston acoustics.

I am not a home theater wizard but I am a big enthusiast. The only speakers of the above mentioned i am familiar with are B & W and paradigm.

Please offer your opinions on what you think would make a good setup.

Thank you for your help and if there is any more information needed to help you make a suggestion please let me know and I will respond promptly.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

JBL S38, JBL S-Center and a SVS 20-39PCi would come in at $1150 plus some shipping.

Axiom M3Ti, VP100 and SVS 20-39PCi would come in at $1150 plus some shipping.

3 Norh 4.0 and an SVS 25-31PCi would come it at $1225 plus some shipping.

You chould knock $100 off the first two options going with the 25-31PCi. You could take $50 off going with an Adire Dharman. You could take $250 off going with a Hsu VTF2.

Something in the $550-$800 range from any of the manufactures you mentioned plus one of the subs I've mentioned would be a great system as well.

You might even be able to pull off 3 GR Research AV1 bookshelves plus one of the subs I've mentioned within budget. But you will have to do some assembly yourself.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd recommend going with 5 Nht SuperOnes since they are discontinued and you can get a set for less than $600 at either Onecall or JanR (can't remember which but at one of them).

Subs, the ones from Adire, SVS, HSU, VMPS, or Accoustic Visions are the way to go and should be based on taste, room size, and other preference choices.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Factory outlet Axiom VP150 center - $300 shipped

Factory outlet Axiom M50 mains - $500 shipped

Adire Rava or Hsu VS2 sub - $400

6. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I'll second the recommendation for 3 norh 4.0s and an SVS 25-31PCi. Unbelievable in terms of performance per dollar.

7. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I'd go for the nOrh 4.0 package and a HSU VTF-2. Should come in around $1,300. Perhaps this could be an option: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...oni&1024090158
    5 Norh 4.0's in sky blue. Have all original boxes. Ceramic cabinets. $650.00 for all.
    Figure $750 for the speakers (shipping included) then $450 for the VTF-2 and you come in at $1,200.

8. Race

Race Auditioning

I went with the

Polk R40's $200 / pair @ Fry's ( circuit city price match )

Polk CS30I $150

Polk RT10's $60 / pair @ Fry's ( circuit city price match )

Velodyne CHT15 $449 open box at Circuit City.

I'm very pleased, and so is my wallet.

Total $859.

9. Michael_GB

Michael_GB Auditioning

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the leader so far is the axiom audio with the HSU VTF2. I like the look of the NoRH but I have to check with him first. I have never heard axiom of NoRH but I do trust your replies along with independent reviews I have read.

I must clarify that my friends wife will be buying the speakers as a birthday present for him and she asked me to pick them out. I am trying to get all my friends into home theater and it is working well. Thanks for all the help because i am well on my way to another convert.

Mike

10. Michael_GB

Michael_GB Auditioning

Rich, how would you get the VP-150 for 350? the website says 400. Please let me know as anything less the the budget she gave me will make it easier for her to buy them.

Also does anyone have Axiom speakers? I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again.. With so many products to choose from it is nice to have some educated opinions to help me make a decision.

Mike

11. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Kef Q3 for fronts

Kef Q9 center

Adire Audio Rava sub

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer