120" Screen; Too Big???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Mulvihill, May 28, 2001.

1. Dan Mulvihill

Dan Mulvihill Auditioning

This is a fall project, but being the geek that I am, I Made a screen (9'x5') out of a sheet and put it up on the wall to see what it would look like. The rooms dimensions will be approx. 19' 6" long, 14' wide, with a 7'6" ceiling. When I put it up, I thought it looked pretty sweet, but everyone else in the family thought that it looked too big. Who's right? Thanks!
    -Dan

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

A lot of this depends entirely on where you will be putting the rest of your equipment and speakers. I have a 15' wide room that has a 8' wide screen. The "effective" width of the room, however, is only about 13'10" (thanks to 14" deep shelves on the right side. You can see this in the pictures of my HT.)
    If I were to have the option (I don't) I would have liked about 1 foot more of elbow room. Because of careful placement of components everything fits fine, but if you don't plan carefully it could become a tight squeeze.
    Remember, a 9' screen in a 14' width room only allows 2.5' per side for everything else.
    Incidentally, there are never any complaints about my 8' x 4.5' screen in my room as far as being "too big."
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

3. Brett Robert

Brett Robert Agent

My room is 11'6" wide. My screen is 8'8" wide. That is as wide as I can get it. The room isn't wide enough to let me get bigger. And my projector isn't good enough either. It could go bigger but at the expense of the picture. No one has said it is too big. How close are you? What kind of projector are you using? Are the pixels blown up too much and to visible? I have a LCD and I am at 17'. I started out with a sheet screen, I loved it. Then I dyed it gray so that I could get better blacks, I loved it more. Then I built a flat strait wall out of metal studs and drywall and painted it with a satin gray that I came up with and man I can't belive how much I love it. There is no stopping..

4. Dan Mulvihill

Dan Mulvihill Auditioning

Thanks for the replies! This room is being built in the basement, so as far as components go, they will be housed in an in-wall rack. No equipment has been bought yet, but I probably will be using the sony LCD 11HT with a Stewart Grayhawk screen. Seating will be about 14' from the screen.
    -Dan

5. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Fourteen feet from a 120" diagonal screen sounds about right. But in my 14 x 16 foot HT room (with cathedral ceiling peaking at 12 feet from 8 foot side walls), fourteen feet back from the screen would have put my back against the wall. So I'm sitting about twelve feet from my 120" diagonal screen. I'm using an LCD Sony VPL-W400Q projecting onto a 16:9 120" diagonal DaLite HiPower screen and it looks "just right" at that distance with anamorphic DVDs. I zoom it down a bit on material of lesser resolution.
    You can always zoom down to a smaller projected size for material that suffers at the largest size, but you can't zoom out beyond the screen borders (without losing information). So you want to get the largest screen you can fit in the room to accommodate the best of your available source material. I started with a blank white painted wall and played around with projected images until I found the largest size image that would both fit my space and render the best source material clearly (no visible scan lines or pixels), marked the wall and measured the dimensions, and then ordered my screen.
    Before I got the front projection system, I just had a very nice TV with a "killer" sound system. Now I am truly experiencing "theater" at home.
    Enjoy!
    Burke