What's new

"12 Years a Slave" review (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Adam Lenhardt said:
The ultimate fate of the Solomon Northup is unknown. He was freed in early 1853 and ultimately lived with his daughter Margaret's family in Queensbury, NY, which is about an hour up the Northway (I-87) from Albany. He became an active voice in the abolition movement and toured the Northeast and eastern Canada giving lectures on slavery and his experiences. He disappeared in 1858, and rumors persisted in the press that he was again kidnapped and enslaved. However, by this point he was 50 years old and would not have made an attractive purchase in the South. It's more likely that he died, either of natural causes while traveling in an area where his remains could not be identified, or was kidnapped and killed: either by racists who didn't appreciate his outspoken views, or by associates of his original kidnappers who wanted to prevent him from testifying against them.
Mild spoilers of course.

Thanks Adam. I had also read this at a few different places. The text at the end of the movie doesn't really leave you with any idea other than no one knows what really happened. A few other threads I visited make it seem that most people believe he was sold back into slavery. Yes, he was too old but the point of taking him back was to either just kill him or prove that he didn't "get away" from the South. A horrible thing either way and had this even been hinted at I think people would have left the theater even more depressed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Michael Elliott said:
I've still got a few of the Nov/Dec films to see but I'd rate ... The Place Beyond the Pines, ... Elysium, Blue Jasmine, ..., Gravity, ... slightly above this one.
I think you left out Turbo and Despicable Me 2... ;)Pines, I see that as a matter of taste in serious movies (one I don't share).But how could the middling Elysium compete with 12 Years (or Gravity)??? (Deeply confused eyes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks