What's new

12 vs. 10 Gauge speaker wire (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
electrical damping factors of around 20 are considered sufficiently adequate for the simple reason that any sound that is produced by the speaker as a result of its movement due to inertia (woofers, being more massive have greater inertia) is inaudible...can't hear it. so its rather irrelevant if as a result of wire length differences, one has a difference of eamping factors of 200 in one wire and 130 in another. it's inaudible. personally, i like symmetry, but that's a personal taste and its mitigated by wanting my wires to be invisible...a clean look.

Chris: since you've indicated you're a student, i'd imagine that there must be quite a few people that you could get to assist you in performing at least some single blind tests. that way perhaps you could determine if the improvements are real or imagined, no?

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
LOL! Now, we have Bruce who says the higher damping factor the better, which I agree with, then we have Chu who says a damping factor of 20 is sufficient. Of course you could probably find some that said a DF of 10 is suffecient while others would argue 200+. It never ends.

Chu, if he did hear a difference/improvement with the single blind test would you then go tell him to go do a double blind?

Chris White

Second Unit
Chris: since you've indicated you're a student, i'd imagine that there must be quite a few people that you could get to assist you in performing at least some single blind tests. that way perhaps you could determine if the improvements are real or imagined, no?

I'm not a student at UCF. While I have in fact performed some single blind tests (my wife helped), I don't need tests to determine if the differences are real or imagined. As my good friend Mike Knapp likes to say, if I can hear a difference, it exists.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
As for any kind of testing....

If you cant hear the difference, then no test will allow you to. If you can hear the difference, then no test will stop you.

No need to test. If you hear the difference...it exists.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks