What's new

12 Volt triggers and automating Pro amps... (1 Viewer)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Thought I would try here since no one seemed to have any input in the hardware section:
Now that I have 4 wonderful QSC professional amps I would like to automate the way they fire up.
I would need two of the amps to fire up when listening to 2 channel stereo music and would need all 4 to fire up when listening to 5.1 and 6.1 (7.1) sound.
I have a few 12 volt relays that I could possibly install in either the amps themselves or perhaps I could install them into middle man outlets in-between the amps and the Furman power conditioner strip of maybe I could install the 12 volt relay right in the Furman strip?
I have an AMX Accent 3 Pro to control the relays since my Newcastle does not have any controls.
I take it there or no Pre/Pro’s out there or coming in the future that multiple 12 volt triggers for the different sound formats?
Ideally I would like 3 relays, as the center rear channel amp would only need to be triggered when watching/listening to EX/ES material.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com

I read about such a project a while ago, it's listed on this website, Link Removed as project 38.
Or you could go directly to the project page by following this link: http://sound.westhost.com/project38.htm
I hope you find it of some interest, I think you could hook it up on the outputs in use for the specific configuration you're using.
Good luck!
Mats Kellberg
------------------
Mats Kellberg
Subsonic - can't beat the feeling!

Sorry!
There shouldn't be a comma in the first link, try this instead: Link Removed
Mats Kellberg
------------------
Mats Kellberg
Subsonic - can't beat the feeling!

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
If you have any available contact closures (relays) left on the Axcent-3, and you're controlling your Sherwood via IR from the Axcent-3, it should be very easy. Contact me via email for more details.
------------------
Q

Mark,
I have purchased 230v/25a solid-state relays via ebay for very good prices. I am planning on building a power sequencer and toying with 12v triggers as well.
Sorry I don't have more info for you...
Dennis
------------------

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
After rereading your post above, and based on what I emailed you, I see the amps do not have an LVI. That being the case, wire the AMX relays to the optos in the same manner as described in my email.
------------------
Q

GregH

Agent
Well, I have an Axcent 2 and 2 Crown D60s and a Symetrix amp that I use. When I get around to it, I'll just plug them into a Niles AC-3 and run it to a relay on the Axcent 2. If I didn't want to turn on the rears when only listening to stereo I'd probably plug them into a seperate AC-3 and only turn it on when I switch the preamp to surround.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Thanks Joe! Great email!
Yea, the QSC do not have the 12 volt triggers unfortunately. I was thinking about mounting the Opto-22's right in the amps but after thinking about I guess it would be easier to make 3 or 4 separate outlets with the Opto-22's installed? Or maybe install the Opto's in the Furman power strip?
Thoughts?
------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
www.digitalvortex.com

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
I'd put the opto's anywhere EXCEPT in the amps. You need that extra degree of isolation.
------------------
Q
[Edited last by Joe Casey on August 02, 2001 at 08:35 AM]

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Ok then I will stick with plan "A" I already have one relay built into a 2-plug outlet with a bracket to mount to the back of the Rack. Is it safe to plug two of the QSC amps into this 2-plug outlet and then have that outlet plug into only one outlet on the back of the Furman power strip?
The two QSC amps would be the EX1250 powering the sub and front center and one of the Ex800's used to power the front mains.
Since these are the two main power hungry amps used in the system I did not want to over load anything.
------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
www.digitalvortex.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks