12 volt trigger, where can I get one?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by EdNichols, Feb 2, 2005.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I have an amp for my mains that does not have the 12v trigger. I would like for it to come on when I turn on my receiver, is there something I can buy that will do this? If so, where can I get it?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Panamax 4310 and 4400 have voltage sensive 12v triggers so you can turn on the outlets to the amp via this trigger. Unfortunately, that means all outlets on the unit, so you wouldn't be able to plug in anything that you wanted to go into standby (with memory) on the same unit. The 5100 has a separate bank that can be turned on this way, but again, anything on that bank will also get turned off, and we are talking $200-$300 price range too.

Take a look at them at www.powersystemsdirect.com

Since your amp doesn't have a stand-by mode, it is probably OK to just leave it on all the time.

3. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I thought about that but I wonder how much current I would be using when it is idle. I can't find any info. about the current it draws at idle.

4. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

This has got to be a common problem with many people using this forum. I, also have a separate subwoofer amp (a Hafler D-500) that draws too much current to plug it into the switched outlet on my Pioneer 1014. Someone must make a power strip or other device that will turn the outlets on with a trigger--preferably 120 volt for this application. The one device I've heard of for this costs more than $100.

Anyone have more info??

Thank you.

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

My Monster Power Center HTS3500 Has 2 switched outlets, 2 switched and timed outlets, and 4 always on outlets. It has a 12v trigger, or it has a seperate power cord that you can plug into the outlet on the receiver to sense when the receiver is on.

I have my main amp and sub amp on the timed outlets, and my BFD on the switched outlet. That way when the receiver poweres up, the BFD comes on. Then about 5 seconds later the amps come on. That avoids the loud thump in the sub if the BFD is turned on after the sub. Then they turn off in the opposite manner.

It is nice because everything does not power on at once, which could cause a hugh power spike.

6. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

For an inexpensive solution, I would suggest the Smart Strip (based on what I have read on forums, not my own use of it - I have triggers on my amps).

You can get yourself a Smart Strip from here:
    http://www.bitsltd.net/SmartStrip/index.htm

Be aware that if your idle current draw from your receiver is above the trigger point for the unit, then it may not work - you should probably look at the LCG3 for $33.00 which has better current sensing (according to their website)specifically for this reason.

Brian - FYI I leave my BFD and Outlaw ICBM on 24/7 to avoid the thump. Generally anything in the receiver>sub path will thump unless you have delayed/timed power ons similar to what you are using.

7. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Thanks, just ordered a Smart Strip and it looks like what I have been needing.

8. Walter Scott

Walter Scott Agent

Go hhere: http://www.xantech.com/

Under products look for "Remote Control Swithces." Check out the AC1 or AC2.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I use a Russound ACT-1 to power almost everyhting from my receiver's switched outlet with a 12v power supply on it (same on/off trigger as a 12v trigger). Works great.

10. syeo

syeo Agent

I turn on my QSC amp via X10/IR/Remote, H/K amp via 12v, and leave BFD on 24/7. Works for me.

11. Bill NHT

Bill NHT Auditioning

I'm using a Smartstrip LGC4 to power two seperate amps with my Yamaha RXV-995, and works without a problem. I have a 1014 on the way and will be using that receiver instead. There is a little knob on the powerstrip I have that allows the sensivity to be adjusted, but I'm not sure if the lower models have the knob.

12. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

John, on the Panamax web site it says that some of them are switched, I do not believe they are all switched. If I read it right it looks as though you can maybe adjust that on some of the models. The 4310 looks like a nice unit for the price. Anyway, here is where I read that....in fact it looks like 3 are always on, and 4 are switched on the 4310.

http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?...il&id=208&ly=h[/url]

13. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

I'm using the Russound Act 1 as well. Works great and it's not $$.