12 volt trigger on Parasound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Deacon, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I recently upgraded to separates and am running a Marantz AV-550 pre/pro and a Parasound 2003A amplifier. The parasound has the ability to auto turn on when a 12 volt signal is received. I have read through the Marantz owners manual and it states that the Marantz can trigger other Marantz amplifiers through a wire (RC-5??? I think) connection.

Does anybody know if the Marantz's signal is 12 volts? The owners manual does not state this specification. If so, can I use the correct pin input for the back of the Marantz and the split the wire for input into the Parasound amp? The Parasound has a + and ground input I believe?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Kevin,

I couldn't answer you question if the signal is 12v but one thing you may consider is going to Radio Shack and getting a 6-12v power adapter and plugging it into the back of your pre/pro if it has the outlet. This way every time you power on the Marantz the amp will be triggered. You can try e-mailing Marantz but I've had no luck getting a reply from them.

Kevin

3. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

One way to be sure is to get a voltmeter and measure the output voltage. That way you also get to identify the polarity.

4. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Thanks for the advice Kevin and Sankar. I sent Marantz an email just to see if they respond. I'll see if any friends have a voltmeter to test the output. If all else fails I can use Kevin's solution. Thanks