12" or 18" sub for music

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donald Shrum, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

OK, here is my dilema. I have martin logans and really am into music. From Snoop, Diana Krall, Limp Bizkit, Miles and many more. I really listen to all sorts of stuff. At the moment, I have the money to buy a new sub. I am really torn between the Vellodyne HGS-12 and the HGS18. You see, I can get the 18 used for about $1400 in perfect condition. The HGS-12 sells for $1400 new. My room is not too big. I just don't want to miss out on an awsome deal because of lack of knowlege. My questions is, Can an 18driver be as tight as a smaller 10" or 12" driver. Will it be fast enough for Martin Logans? I personally don't know much about the SVS lineup and tried PM one of the guys that works there but didn't get a reply. Any info will help. Thanks.

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I have a velodyne ct150 wich .. in sub world is lower than yours...but I run mine with music 24/7 and sounds great!. A lot will have to do with set-up vs. what your running. I also have powered towers and a large room... but that 15 does not miss a beat. Vel puts out a great product..

In a small room..the 12 may be a better situation..plus what about any warranty?

decisions..decisions..good luck

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

4. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

You should not have to worry as much about integrating with your Martin Logan hybrids since you are not crossing over to the ESL panel from your sub. If you have the CLS series, then that is another thing.

With the bigger subs, you run into the chance of cone breakup, cabinet resonance, higher moving mass. I guess if you cross over to it low enough, some of the issue would be minimized.