12" or 15"

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Daniel_AVR, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Daniel_AVR

Daniel_AVR Extra

Hi,

In my quest for the perfect DIY sub, this episode is about a 12" driver vs 15" driver for an 70/30 (music/HT) application

When I model different divers with WinIsd I found that some 15" drivers put some very interesting results in each configuration (sealed/vented) for the very same Vb/Vc (volume box). And this is not the case for 12" drivers (much smaller sealed alignment).

As I'm more music inclined, I would use the best sealed volume for my wanted Qtc but still build a pluggable vent, and live with the slight less than perfect ported alignment when needed for HT, this way I could have the well praised tight bass for music and the better bass extension for HT.

Then, my question is, what do you think of a 15" driver (like Styke AV15 or Titanic MKIII 15" for example) as a music sealed alignment sub? I didn't see much of 15" set-up out there.....we see more multiple 12"....would the transient be unacceptable?

thanks

Daniel

2. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i do most to all my music listning in my car so after bulding my dual av15 for my ht i got 1 for my car. i put it in a 2.5 cube sealed box and it is real nice. it has power and size for the r&b but quickness for the metal. i think the av15 will be beter but you will need a little bit more power to make it realey sing.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The Titanic MKIII with it's lower Qts makes it better suited for use in somewhat smaller low Qtc sealed box designs.

But if you way max flexibility design for a EBS then plug the port for music.