What's new

12 Monkeys UE????? (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
With the 12 Monkeys price drop coming up this Tuesday, it's definately time for me to finally pick up one of my favorite movies. Anyway, I thought I remembered some talk in a past thread about a possible Ultimate Edition of this coming out after the price drop. Was there any truth to that, or was it just unsubstantiated speculation?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I believe it was complete speculation, or maybe rumor passed off as fact.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It was planned at one time so I hear, then got lost in the shuffle when people began bitching about the Ultimate Edition reissues sucking. Seems they didn't sell expected numbers, because there was no Mummy Returns ultimate. Nor American Pie 2

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
I have also been waiting for a SE or UE for a very long time now. Just like the Indy Trilogy i suppose we have to wait ages for it. At one point i will have to purchase this DVD maybe now is the right time since it's pretty much a bargain(at DVD:soon $19.62 CAD) but nevertheless i find it to be very inadequate. IMO this is one of the greatest films ever made and certainly deserves to be released in a SE or UL. At some point i heard rumors that there would be a CC release of it but does rumors were completely false since Criterion doesn't even own the rights.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
At one point i will have to purchase this DVD maybe now is the right time since it's pretty much a bargain(at DVD:soon $19.62 CAD) but nevertheless i find it to be very inadequate. IMO this is one of the greatest films ever made and certainly deserves to be released in a SE or UL.

The current version is an SE.

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
No it certainly isn't a SPECIAL EDITION. It's a Universal Collector's Edition series disc. And i am sorry to tell you this but it's not the same thing at all. This edition is pretty much a "bare bones" one. It contains the usuall; Trailer, production notes, closed captioned, audio commentary and a short useless making of documentary. It's is however OAR and anamorphic which is positive.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Actually, isn't the documentary (The Hamster Factor) considered one of the best making-of docs?

And the commentary is great, too!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
It contains the usuall; Trailer, production notes, closed captioned, audio commentary and a short useless making of documentary.
As many others are quick to point out, "short" and "useless" are not words to describe the documentary, which is a film unto itself. It delves into areas that no other behind-the-scenes feature or featurette has. The audio commentary is excellent as well, as any commentary with Terry Gilliam is likely to be. The only problem I have with this DVD is the lack of the still gallery from the laserdisc version, which contained some good looks at various advertising materials.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I think the main hope for a UE would be the FULL commentary. I want to buy this but apparently the commentary is longer than the movie and is cut off on the DVD but not on the LD original. If I could find a site with the transcript of the remaining section I'd buy the DVD like a shot and be happy but otherwise I wait in the hope there will be a commentary-friendly version one time!!

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
The last I heard, the DTS did not contain the documentary...which is a significant loss. I think the hopes for the UE was to contain DTS, the documentary, as well as additional extras....I am still hoping it will come out..

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
If you think that the SE of 12 Monkey's is lacking you obviously have not seen the DD 5.1 DVD. The 90+ minute Hamster Factor documentary is one of the best ever and the commentary is fantastic. I remember there being a pretty good photo gallery on the disc and it had all of the various advertising material. I know I am not mistaking this for the LD since I have never owned a LD player or seen the 12 Monkey's LD.

The DTS DVD has none of the features of the DD version, and from what I heard, the DTS track is nothing special. Pick up the DD version.

-Dean-

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
It seems pretty obvious that Veli-Matti Reitti has never viewed the disc, seeing he said he still does not own the disc and makes erroneous statements about the nature of the documentary calling it a

short useless making of documentary.
Get the current disc, it is a very nice package. I own both the DD and DTS versions and noticed very little difference between the two tracks. If I had to give an edge to one it would be to the DTS by the slimmest of leads mainly due to a bit more clarity (it is a full bandwidth DTS track).

J

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
No it certainly isn't a SPECIAL EDITION. It's a Universal Collector's Edition series disc. And i am sorry to tell you this but it's not the same thing at all. This edition is pretty much a "bare bones" one. It contains the usuall; Trailer, production notes, closed captioned, audio commentary and a short useless making of documentary. It's is however OAR and anamorphic which is positive.
Wow, somebody didn't watch the documentary. "Bare bones"?! Ha! :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Agreeing with the crowd: The 12 Monkey's documentary is great! Of the few that I've watched, this is the best so far. It is truly independent, and actually delves into personality clashes, budget over-runs, and everything else the typical "fluffumentary" ignores.

Likewise, the commentary is pretty good, though I've always wondered what goe chopped off, and why they haven't bothered to just release a fixed version.

It's interesting, I think, to compare this release to A.I. A.I. has a greater volume of extras, but they are pretty light-weight. In contrast, 12 Monkeys has only two main extras, but they are both substantial and insightful.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I watch the documentary more than the movie. It's like 90minutes long!

I can't imagine 12 Monkeys being more special in terms of extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks