What's new

12 Monkeys DTS vs. Collectors Edition (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I want to purchase this great movie. However, I would like to know what differences there are between these two versions, if there is any (other than the DTS soundtrack of course!).

Does the DTS version have fewer supplements?

I know that an Ulimate Edition is planned, but I doubt that I will wait for that.

Thanks in advance!

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
12 Monkeys DTS has no extras. The CE has a terrific 80 minute documentary and the trailer.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Get the CE or wait for the Ultimate Edition. The 80 minute documentary on 12 Monkeys is one of the best of its kind, and is definitely worth sacrficing a DTS track for; the Dolby Digital track really isn't that half bad in the first place.

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
I'd also definitely recommend getting the DD CE. This is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen and the commentary is good as well although they unfortunately mastered it wrong so that it ends abruptly.

------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Wait for the Ultimate Edition. You might as well get the deleted scenes and outtakes with both soundtracks if your going to buy.

But if you just can't wait a couple of months, there is little question that the Collector's Edition is the one to get. Even many members here who are gung ho DTS will tell you that there is little if any difference when comparing the tracks. Also, the documentary is worth the price of the disc alone.
------------------
My DVD's

If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

[Edited last by AaronMK on October 01, 2001 at 06:20 PM]

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I own both versions...DTS offers a very slight improvement over the DD version. If you must get a version now go for the DD.

However, if you are a really big fan of DTS and dead set on getting this version go for the current movie only release as well. The Ultimate Edition will be half bit rate whereas the current DTS version is full. It will be the last time you will probably be able to get a full bit rate 12 Monkeys DTS on DVD.

J

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the quick replies! Does anybody know when the Ultimate Edition is going to be released. If it is going to be this year (probably not likely) I will wait. Otherwise, I will probably go with the Collector Edition.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I would also hold off and buy the ultimate edition of this film. That way you're getting the best of both worlds.

------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
From the Digital Bits website: The 12 Monkeys: Special Edition (SRP $14.98) will feature the film presented in digitally-remastered anamorphic widescreen video, with audio in Dolby Digital 5.1. Extras will include basically the same stuff we got on the previous DVD release, including audio commentary with director Terry Gilliam and producer Charles Roven, The Hamster Factor and Other Tales of 12 Monkeys documentary, the theatrical trailer, 12 Monkeys Archives and production notes.
According to DVDPricesearch.com the Collector's Edition is available and a DTS version is still available in Canada but according to Amazon.com the Collector's Edition has a street date of May 10th 2005 with these tech details:
Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)
Format: AC-3, Dolby, Dubbed, Special Edition, Subtitled, Widescreen
Rated: Not for sale to persons under age 18.
Studio: Mca Home Video
DVD Release Date: May 10, 2005
ASIN: B0007PALZ2
Best Buy is also listing it for a May release. Here is some cover art.
http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/ar...1107393121.jpg

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone else confirmed the "digitally-remastered" part of that spec? That has me very skeptical -- I mean this is Universal we're talking about.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
If this has remastyered video, I'll gladly upgrade. I remember a bit of artifacting on the previous edition.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I think 12 MONKEYS is one of the initial batch of either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD titles. If Universal has a new HD transfer of the film ready, and decides to downconvert it to standard-def DVD with a simple port over of the original extras from the first release - voila! An easy double-dip with the expenses by and large paid for with their investment in the forthcoming Hi-Def release. I'd guess that the mooted APOLLO 13 re-release I saw mentioned somewhere would be a result of the same process. I don't remember any major problems with the original disc but will happily double-dip if the new transfer is an improvement (T2 Extreme Ed. is a downconversion from a new Hi-Def master, and it was a noticeable improvement over the earlier editions).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the current version tonight and it looks overly-processed --- that 90's DVD look if you will. There is plenty of room for improvement.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Could you imagine if we could go back in time to 2001 when the UE was initially announced and tell people the disc is going to be delayed for almost 4 years! People would have been pretty upset! :D

At this point, some of my favorite movies I am no longer double dipping on because I know they will be ones I will eventually want in HD. If a favorite movie of mine is coming out as a first release, I'll go for the SD-DVD and douple dip in HD, but I am not triple dipping just to get HD.

I am passing on this new SE in lieu of a HD release a couple years down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks