What's new

12 Monkeys Collector's Edition Discontinued? (1 Viewer)

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I have had the "12 Monkeys: Collector's Edition" DVD on my DVDAficionado wishlist for awhile now. I live in Canada and was looking for it at one time, but people were telling me that it was out of stock, even as it was still listed on DVDAficionado. When I realized that Universal puts French and English on the covers of its DVDs in Canada, I decided that I would stop looking for the DVD here, and wait until I visit the U.S. to buy it.

Now I'm planning to go to the U.S. in January, and I go to DVDAficionado today and see that it is suddenly listed as "Out Of Print" and "Discontinued". Does anyone have an idea if it is truly no longer available, and if so, why? The only reason I can think of is that a new release is planned for 2005, since it will be 10 years since the movie came out.

Mike.P

Second Unit
Unfortunately it is out of print, although it isn't necessarily hard to come by used. Been to about 15 stores in the last week looking for a new copy, though, and haven't found one yet.

Here's hoping Criterion can release it for the 10th anniversary!

Mike

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't be surprised if Criterion also takes advantage of this to include La Jettee in the next release. Just wait for an announcement instead of hunting down the old edition.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I dont think Universal releaseed this with a bilingual cover. The copy I have is 100% eng. There was also a rumoured

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Here's hoping Universal will do a remaster in a new 2-disc set. After several years of enjoying the CE on a 32 in TV, I sadly found the disc unwatchable once I upgraded to a larger screen. The docu, however, is fantastic, and Universal should retain it for any future releases.

La Jettee is (or was) available on DVD.
It's on one of the "Short" collections.
I bought my copy just after picking up "12 Monkeys"

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Gotta be careful with that approach, now that U has announced which hi def DVD format they're supporting.

All these OOP print titles discussed in the other thread Ross links to above may have that status because U intends to let demand spike up a little in anticipation of a hi def release . . . a few years from now.

The Thing and Born On the Fourth Of July, U titles that (finally!) got re-released in 2004, did not go OOP before being re-released.

Although they--like all the studios on some titles--are very tardy on the SE tip and I'm of course keeping my fingers crossed for (inexpensively-priced) standard def SEs sooner rather than hi def SEs later, at this time we basically just don't know what is up with U taking many of these OOP.

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ugh.

So did ya'll see The Bits today? U is re-releasing Monkeys as a "Special Edition" . . . with--as far as one can tell from the information available at this time--largely the same supps as previously-available . . . NO DTS and DD on the same disc . . .

. . . after just having announced this pic for HD DVD release in the 4th quarter.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

-p

RobertM.Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
I always held out hopes that Criterion would tackle yet another Gilliam and a 12 Monkeys edition to rival the "fear & loathing" would happen, specially with this being its 10yr.

and universal's apparent lack of interest in doing a real SE & just re-releasing the old edition...gives me a bit of hope for that in the future...and disappointment now.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
What's this talk about DTS? Are you suggesting that the discontinued version will somehow be better than this new version coming out because the discontinued version has something that the new one won't have?

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I thought the new one coming out is the same old DD one from years ago just repressed....it's pretty late so I may have read the posts wrong....ZzzzzZzzzz.......

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Ocean: I can't speak for anyone else, but my mention of DTS is motivated by my annoyance that Universal has never gone back and re-released SEs with both DD and DTS on the same disk for titles that had separate, largely supplement-free DTS releases back in the day (Jurassic Park and Apollo 13 are other examples) when the DD versions had some nice goodies (the Jim & Marilyn Lovell commentary on Apollo and the "Hamster Factor" docu are examples).

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks