What's new

12 monkees question (1 Viewer)

Derek S

Stunt Coordinator
can someone tell me what 12 to get? I know there is a DTS version out there, is the sound enough to give up the extras? what are the extras? anyone have a link to a review of the two dvds?

thanks

Derek

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Go for the Dolby Digital edition. I usually go for DTS, but in this case the difference in sound is minor, and the extras on the DD edition include some really fantastic material.

Derek S

Stunt Coordinator
thanks, i will shoot for the dd one

and regarding the other 8 monkees, i think lucas has digitally inserted them???

peace

Derek

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
Derek:

Sorry for the joke, but I couldn't resist.

Aaron is right, go for the DD. The Hamster Factor documentary alone is worth the price of the DVD. Plus, I am not even sure if the DTS version has the commentary by Gilliam (which if I remember correctly, stops very suddenly, so he must have continued talking even after the movie was over!)

JC

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I also recommend the DD version. I've only heard the DTS track on Laser, but it wasn't any better than the DD. Lackluster in general...and the extras on the DD version really justify the purchase.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
BTW, beware, the PQ of this title is TERRIBLE. Some of the MPEG artifacting was so bad the blocking looked like a video-game (some of the scenes in the mental home).

It could really use an up-to-date compression job.

Hmm, I just found that the UK edition of this DVD has fewer extras than the DD R1 release (the UK edition is called Twelve Monkeys, and includes The Hamster Factor, but no commentary), while the R1 has the commentary and is called 12 Monkeys. Is it worth paying an extra £4 for the R1?

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Hmm, I just found that the UK edition of this DVD has fewer extras than the DD R1 release (the UK edition is called Twelve Monkeys, and includes The Hamster Factor, but no commentary), while the R1 has the commentary and is called 12 Monkeys. Is it worth paying an extra £4 for the R1?
Yes. The UK version is also non-anamorphic. :thumbsdown:

The UK version is the only 'bad' PAL version BTW. You can therefor also import from the European mainland or Australia. Here for less than GBP 9,- delivered, for example.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
BTW, beware, the PQ of this title is TERRIBLE. Some of the MPEG artifacting was so bad the blocking looked like a video-game (some of the scenes in the mental home).
I totally, *TOTALLY* agree that PQ is disappointing. Thing is, on smaller TVs, it works fairly well. After upgrading to a PJ and 92 inch screen, this was one of the first titles I spun up. Good grief! Can't wait 'till a remaster - hopefully an Ultimate Edition 2-disc - comes around...

Felix

Visit the CineFlexx
http://members.aol.com/beautymarkstudio/Home.html

Denny_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the collectors edition for many years now and enjoy all the extra features (commentary, 'hamster' doc 86mins. long!, etc.), but since I upgraded my recevier from a DD only to a DD/DTS-ES, I have been looking to pick up some of those early DTS titles which I currently only own in DD. Well, I saw 12 Monkeys DTS on sale for 19.99 and could not resist.
I figured that I could package both discs in a double amray and have the perfect special ed. (DTS/DD extra features etc.).
But I was totally dismayed when I compared both versions, the DTS (full bit rate audio, higher mpeg bit rate) was too soft and fuzzy in many scenes. The DD (lower mpeg bit rate) was by comparison much more sharper and had a bit more detail (though there was more video noise).
I haven't had time to compare audio as yet, but the video...............:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks