12 monkees question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek S, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Derek S

Derek S Stunt Coordinator

can someone tell me what 12 to get? I know there is a DTS version out there, is the sound enough to give up the extras? what are the extras? anyone have a link to a review of the two dvds?

thanks

Derek

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Go for the Dolby Digital edition. I usually go for DTS, but in this case the difference in sound is minor, and the extras on the DD edition include some really fantastic material.

3. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

I thought there were only 4 Monkees... And now I find out there were 12 in total...

4. Derek S

Derek S Stunt Coordinator

thanks, i will shoot for the dd one

and regarding the other 8 monkees, i think lucas has digitally inserted them???

peace

Derek

5. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

Derek:

Sorry for the joke, but I couldn't resist.

Aaron is right, go for the DD. The Hamster Factor documentary alone is worth the price of the DVD. Plus, I am not even sure if the DTS version has the commentary by Gilliam (which if I remember correctly, stops very suddenly, so he must have continued talking even after the movie was over!)

JC

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I also recommend the DD version. I've only heard the DTS track on Laser, but it wasn't any better than the DD. Lackluster in general...and the extras on the DD version really justify the purchase.

7. Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson Stunt Coordinator

Whatever happened with the rumor that an Ultimate Edition was to be released for this movie?

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

BTW, beware, the PQ of this title is TERRIBLE. Some of the MPEG artifacting was so bad the blocking looked like a video-game (some of the scenes in the mental home).

It could really use an up-to-date compression job.

9. Alex Bradbury

Hmm, I just found that the UK edition of this DVD has fewer extras than the DD R1 release (the UK edition is called Twelve Monkeys, and includes The Hamster Factor, but no commentary), while the R1 has the commentary and is called 12 Monkeys. Is it worth paying an extra £4 for the R1?

10. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

11. Alex Bradbury

Yikes, I didn't know it was non-anamorphic. I guess I'll probably pick up the US edition with commentary. Thankyou

12. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

13. Denny_S

Denny_S Stunt Coordinator

I've had the collectors edition for many years now and enjoy all the extra features (commentary, 'hamster' doc 86mins. long!, etc.), but since I upgraded my recevier from a DD only to a DD/DTS-ES, I have been looking to pick up some of those early DTS titles which I currently only own in DD. Well, I saw 12 Monkeys DTS on sale for 19.99 and could not resist.
    I figured that I could package both discs in a double amray and have the perfect special ed. (DTS/DD extra features etc.).
    But I was totally dismayed when I compared both versions, the DTS (full bit rate audio, higher mpeg bit rate) was too soft and fuzzy in many scenes. The DD (lower mpeg bit rate) was by comparison much more sharper and had a bit more detail (though there was more video noise).
    I haven't had time to compare audio as yet, but the video...............[​IMG]