What's new

12 Hours to Kill in Vegas - What To Do? (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Alright, I need recommendations. I have 12 hours to kill in Las Vegas next Tuesday morning and need recommendations on what to do, see, etc. I may play some poker if the funds allow, but otherwise have a fairly strict budget. Suggestions?

LewB

Screenwriter
No offense, but when I think of Vegas, the last phrase that enters my mind is 'strict budget'.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

You could get a cab or bus from McCarren, get off at the MGM Grand or Mandalay Bay and then just go from hotel to hotel. Each one has something to see and shopping malls to stroll thru. I guess you could kill the day cheaply that way.
You could also sightsee Red Rock Canyon or head to Hoover Dam. Depends what tickles your fancy. Or you could head out of the county if you REALLY want your fancy tickled
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

But a limited budget wouldn't work for that either.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I should explain why the restrictions: I flying out Tuesday morning for a job interview. Which means I am unemployed, which explains the limitations. I am staying at the Flamingo, and have a meeting that night at 8pm, so don't want to travel too far. The next two days are filled with conference activities and job interviewing. The best/cheapest flight I could get leaves Milwaukee at 7am and lands at LV at 9:40, which leaves me far too much time to occupy, with little funds to do it.

I might just check into the hotel and take a nap. :)

LewB

Screenwriter
Better see if an early check-in is OK at that hotel. I think most have a 3 or 4 PM check-in time.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Most check-ins there are noon or later, but they'll hold your baggage for you if you get there early.

I'd second the recommendation of just going hotel hopping. You could see the show at Ceasars then go to Bellagio for the fountains maybe hit up MGM and check the place out. With the heat there, I don't know how much walking around you'd want to do. Depends how you feel about that weather.

Good luck on the interviewing!

LewB

Screenwriter
Caesars is good for at least a few hours !
They recently re-did the Forum shops. I enjoyed getting a gelato and watching the Fire and Ice show. I think it goes off once an hour.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Hoover Dam is not too far away and was very interesting. There's also either an Elvis museum or a Liberace museum (it's been a few years, so I forget which) that was fun in a tacky, let's kill a couple of hours sort of way.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Elvis-a-rama has closed; but the Liberace museum is still open.

What I would suggest is the Titanic exhibition at the Tropicana. A little pricey to get in, but definitely worth it. Not only are they showing thousands of artifacts recovered from the ship, but have recreated several parts of the ship. At one point, you step through a hatch and you're in the third class quarters and can hear the engines pounding. But my favorite part was walking out onto the deck into highly refrigerated air; you can see stars in the distance and hear the water rushing past the hull. Very eerie. And then in the next room, they have a huge chunk of ice that you can touch.

Doro

Agent
Eat. There is so much good food around you, grab a local. Well, don't grab them per se but jump in front of them with wild gesturing hand signals and ask where to go eat.

Mark

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
You need to post what you like to do. For example, if you are even mildly into Star Trek then you should check out the Star Trek experience (in the Hilton). Perhaps you'd want to catch a live show? Since you are into HT, check out the Sony store in Caesar's Palace... they always have some high end electronics on display (1080p PJs, etc., etc.).

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Ice?
No shit?
I can't believe I've been avoiding Vegas all these years, I'll check the bus schedule in the morning. :)

betooz

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Wrong town to have limited funds in but, there is plenty you can see and do on a budget. Someone already mentioned the fountain show at the Bellagio, highly recommended. There is also the Pirate err Mermaid show at Treasure Island. Depending on how late you stay there is also the light show in older Vegas. Avoid the ESPN Zone, as a sports lover all I can say is LAME! Definitely check out the Venetian, you can easily kill a few hours just walking around the mall. Do not get the monorail pass, it runs behind the strip and all stops make you walk all the way through the gaming floor. Then again, that could be good for killing some time. The Pepper Mill is pretty cool, in an Austin Powers kind of way, down on the same end of the strip as the Star Trek exibit.

If you feel like doing some gambling, the Tropicanna has $1 black jack tables, be prepared to sit with geriatrics, or the MGM right across the street has a wonderful poker room with lots of 1/2 no limit tables. If you sit down at the table and can't figure out who the donkey is, it's you. Since you will be there during the day, that shouldn't be a problem. Good luck on the interview.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"Ice?
No shit?
I can't believe I've been avoiding Vegas all these years, I'll check the bus schedule in the morning."

Yeah, well, it's about 8 feet tall and 15 feet wide. And after walking on the first class "deck" in the cold and seeing the belongings of all those people who died, it was impressive to see.

Oh, something else to see in LV: the Pinball Hall of Fame, if you're a pinball wizard...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
dude it's vegas! Parlay your $50 roll into a couple grand at the craps table, then coke and whores for the rest of the stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks