12 gage low-voltage wire for speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by BillyP, Jan 7, 2004.

1. BillyP

BillyP Auditioning

I'm looking for speaker wire to setup my new HT. I will probable need between 200 and 250 feet of wire. I found some 12 gage wire for 37 cents/foot, which is much less than I have seen any other regular 12 gage (speaker) wire for. This wire says it's for low voltage outside lighting, but to me 12 gage wire is 12 gage wire. Will this wire work OK for speaker wire, it will have to be partly in wall also, if that matters. I could save quit a bit of money this way to go toward better speakers.
    Thanks, Billy

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Sure. Like you said, 12 zip cord is pretty much the same. You can get this in big 100ft spools from parts express, etc etc. I don't recall what my local home depot was selling it for, but i don't think they had big spools, and it was a tad bit more per foot i think.

However codes usually do require that in-wall wire be rated for in-wall use. This pertains to speaker wire as well. I am not too familiar with the problems/liabilities with not running in-wall wire for in-wall use.

3. BillyP

BillyP Auditioning

Thanks,

It was Home Depot I found this 500' roll of 12 gage wire for $158. The guy said it was 37 cents/ft, but I guess if you buy the whole spool it's only about 32 cents/ft. At least that's what I figured it out to be. I think I'll get the whole spool, then I'll have wire left to wire lights in my yard [​IMG]

Thanks again,

Billy

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Billy,

I thought I paid much less for my in-wall 12-gauge wires from Home Depot. The wire I got was made by Carol. I seem to recall paying around .25 a linear foot for mine.

5. BillyP

BillyP Auditioning

The guy helping me said they had no 12 gage "speaker" wire, but I did find this 12 gage lighting wire. Maybe this particular Home Depot was just out or something. I may try another location. It's still much less than Radio Shack's 99 cents/ft 12 gage wire.

6. Scott Sabin

Scott Sabin Stunt Coordinator

Boy, that seems expensive for the 12 ga landscape wire. I recall paying less than 20 cents/ft for mine (in 100 ft quantity) from Home Depot.

You might also want to consider using 12 ga Romex for the in-wall portion (maybe even 10 ga for that long run). Then you are convered for in-wall use.