12" Dayton Titanic MkIII or DV-310 DVC

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Erick P, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Erick P

Erick P Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I'm going to be building a subwoofer for the sound system in my room. I was originally going to use the Dayton 12" DV-310 sub because of its lower price, but I began to consider the MkIII since the price difference between the 2 wasn't too great.

Sooooooo, are there any major acoustical differences between the two? The receiver I'm going to use it with is hooked up to my computer. The sub will be fed everything - music, computer games, and movies.

I will be using the 250watt plate subwoofer amplifier on PE (or 272 @ 4ohms according them) and building my own box (that should be fun...)

My 8" AR sub has been great, but I need more boom!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Yes. If you put a DV-310 in a box by itself, you will hear absolutely nothing. The MKIII works very well in both ported and sealed boxes.

-Robert

3. Erick P

I just noticed that the model DV310 by itself is a passive radiator... so if you want to get technical, its the DV310-8-8, part # 295-185 on PE, but i'm sure you knew what i was talking about [​IMG]

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    That one is usually referred to as the Dayton 12" DVC. Either way, it's a GREAT sub. I built one for a family member in a 1.2^3ft. sealed box using the same amp you mention above. It doesn't reach the lowest octave on DVD's but it's enough for him. Still rattles the windows. It will also work great in a 4^3ft. ported enclosure tuned to 20hz. They have even been substituted for the Adire Shiva with great results.

-Robert

5. Erick P

ah... Thanks for the correction

Do you think the MkIII will be underpowered with that amp?

6. Steve Young

Steve Young Stunt Coordinator

Steve Young
    Erik, I currently run a Dayton DVC 12" in a sonosub that my brother built for me. I run it along side my SVS 20-39 CS powered by a Samson s700 amp(350W x 2). I pretty much keeps up to the SVS, but not quite[​IMG]
    It's a nice woof though.

Steve

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Sealed? Definitely. That's why PE includes a 500w amp in their kit. In a large ported box, you probably won't bottom out the driver but you will be able to push it close to it's limits.

-Robert

8. Erick P

Hmm... well, I guess I'll have to go with the 12" DVC in a ported enclosure, since it seems that the MkIII won't be too happy with the 250 watt amp unless I build a big box, which I don't want to do.

Thanks

9. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you are going ported with the DVC 12", what size box do you plan to use? The smallest you could effectivel go would be the a copy of Adire's Adire Alignment enclosure. That's 85L tuned to 20hz. The MKIII would probably work in that box also but you would need more port area since it's a higher excursion driver. No matter what sub you pick, it's best to model it in something like Unibox or WinISD before starting any building.

You did know that there is a whole DIY section here at HTF? Sub design has been covered extensively.

-Robert

10. Erick P

I'm gonna read up on that section while I let my subwoofer building funds accumulate, lol

Thanks

11. Erick P

*thinking*

I have a Carver amp lying around - the model is simply "The Receiver" - which supposedly puts out 150 watts RMS per channel @ 8ohms.

If I hook this up to the subwoofer output on my Sony receiver, you guys think it would work well for this sub (or any in general)?

12. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Erick:

Just so happens that I have the Dayton 12 inch DVC being delivered today. What I am doing is using my existing Radio Shack 12" ported unit, by removing the speaker and turning it into a sealed unit. The Dayton specs measure almost the same for dimensions so I won't have to modify the enclosure. I will be running it with a 200 watt rms amp and will see that drives the speaker. I never push the volume so hopefully that amp will give me all the drive that I need with the speaker giving me better low end response than I could get with the old one (about 35HZ). If the package arrives as scheduled I should be up and running later today. I wanted to get the Titanic, but it was a bit larger than the DVC and would not have fit in the existing enclosure. But for my use I think the DVC will be fine.

13. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert