12" Dayton DVC sealed in car?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joe Tilley, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I know there is a car audio spot now but I thought this would be the best place for an answer. I just sold my 12" DVC to a guy I work with for his car, & I told him I would build him a box for it. I know I should know how to use WinSID by now but I just don't under stand the thing so please excuse my stupidity, Besides thats what the forum is for right?
    Anyway can someone help me out for a small sealed enclosure that would work well with this sub, or rather a pair, as he is ordering a second one. I'm thinking something that will play well in the 30 to 40hz range. If I went with something 14" by 14" square outside how much app depth would I need, I will be using 3/4 MDF board.
    I don't know if the input power will mean anything here but he will be using a (model #???) MTX amp that is rater at 360watts bridged into 4ohm, one for each speaker wired parallel.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Joe, I have a 12" DVC in a box I made which is about 1.2cu. ft. It sounds great; very tight, loud, and it sure hits deep. I'm running it off of a MTX 2402(i think) at 4 ohms. I want to get an amp that pushes >400watts RMS to really let it sing, but no money!

I'm tempted to build a ported enclosure tuned to 33hz just to compare sealed vs. ported.

3. AdamWood

AdamWood Agent

I know someone using the 15" version of the DVC. He did have it in a 3cuft sealed box but there's always room for improvement. Now its in a 5cuft after displacement, tuned to 35 and its extreamly louder with only a minor loss in SQ. But he is powering it with 900watts. The Hz of 35 should also work for the 12"...