12' Brahma for home use and which amp

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by KaronnyF, Mar 19, 2004.

1. KaronnyF

KaronnyF Auditioning

WHich amp is more appropriate for powering a high excursion driver?

the new 1000W PE plate amp.

or the QSC RMX850 pro amp.

Both have similar power. But I am leaning on the Plate amp as it has extras like EQ and crossovers. DOes the QSC have any advantages? better sound quality perhaps?

I know the sadhara is more suited for home use, but I am still leaning on the 12' Brahma as it seems to be a more robust and better looking package. The Fs for brahma is very similar to the sadhara, so it would probably play as low.
    In fact most of the T/S paramters for both are very similar. Being a car based driver, can the brahma be used in the home without much hassle? WHat additinal things must be done to use adapt a brahma to home uses?

2. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

I think you're going to need a lot more than 1000 watts to power a 12' driver... [​IMG]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

In most cases, the crossover on the plate amp is useless. It's always better to use the crossover on your receiver (if your receiver has one) instead of using the crossover on the sub.

The EQ that is built into the plate amp is somewhat limited. If it ever gets to the point where you'd need an EQ for your sub, look into the Behringer Feedback Destroyer - which sells for approx. $115.00.

Advantages of the QSC amp (or any other pro audio amp for that matter):

- Since it's not mounted in a subwoofer cabinet, you could quickly change the connections and power another sub.
    - Most pro audio amps handle 2 Ohm loads. Plate amps might have problems driving such a load.
    - Pro audio amps, in most cases, have much better power supplies.
    - The pro audio amp will allow you to drive two channels at a time - or, bridge the channels for more power going to just one channel.

I could go on and on. However, I think you can see that there are many benefits of the pro audio amp. If you are one who would not prefer to tweak things, then maybe a plate amp mounted to the back of a subwoofer cabinet would be the best option.

In my case, it seems like I'm frequently playing with different subs and sub boxes, so the pro audio amp allows some quick configuration changes in my system.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Pro amps are typically a better product but one thing you want to keep in mind is the RMX line has fairly noisy fans. You can replace the fan after you purchase with a quiet fan it but it will take a bit of soldering.

As you mentioned, the Sadhara is geared a bit more for home use but the Brahma can work well in about 3 cu ft ported/PR.

5. Wayne Ernst

Kyle,

That's a good point regarding the pro amps. Darn, noisy fans. [​IMG]

However, on the computer side of things, there is a vendor selling 80mm Panaflo fans that only produce about 21dB of noise for about $3.19 a piece. Plus, shipping is not too bad either. Also, PC users have been "modding" these fans to feed them only 7V of power -- making them even quieter. [​IMG]

Link to vendor: http://www.bgmicro.com/lmad.asp

6. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

let me chime in here and make a stab at this from a money stand point. the brahma models out awesome for car audio, and very good for home theater. but at less than half the cost, the AV12 models out a bit better using similiar wattage, tuning, and box size. also, as most can tell you on this forum, the AV series woofers are really nice. in the end, it's up to you, but i'm a sucker for the aluminum cones.

eric

7. Wayne Ernst

Eric,

That's a good point regarding the Stryke recommendation. All too often, I forget about the AV-12 driver, too. Plus, I share a similar admiration for aluminum cones.

8. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Heck, the Panaflo L1A will even take 5 volts and be silent. I have three of those in my silent computer. But don't expect the fans to move very much air at 5V.