What's new

12/2 or 14/4 gauge wire? (1 Viewer)

Jay_S

Auditioning
Looking for opinions here, which would be most beneficial and useful in the longrun?

1) 14gauge 4 conductor cable, combined to make 11awg for a stereo pair, or

2) 12gauge 2 conductor cable as is?

This will be used for wiring all speakers in my home theater (several long runs), plus whatever I have leftover will most likely be used once I put in a whole-house audio system or other "toys" =)

Price is about the same either way, with the 14/4 being just a little more expensive. Looking at Tributaries wire if it makes a difference.

TIA

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The 14-4 would be good to use where you have a long run that you would split off to two speakers at the end. It would save money over the 12 ga., since you say they are both the same price – i.e., you’d get two 14 runs for the price of one 12 ga. run.

That’s about the only good reason to use a four-conductor cable. I wouldn’t use it for a run to a single speakers – it offers no sonic advantage, and it’ll be a pain to terminate, at least compared to regular 12ga.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jay_S

Auditioning
Wayne -
Thanks for the followup. I went ahead and bought the 14/4 wire, mainly since it leaves me with some supplies for options in the future. Knowing that there isn't really any advantage/disadvantage sonically helped out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattJackson2003
Recent bookmarks