$118 million for Calista Flockhart?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

That's how much Harrison Ford's divorce settlement was with his now former wife (according to a report on the radio). It's purportedly the largest divorce settlement in Hollywood.

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I hate Hollywood news and gossip since I really could not care less about anything....

BUT, $118 Million???? What the hell did that frog faced woman do to deserve $118 million???? I mean, I'm all for fair settlements for spouses....but there is nothing she did to deserve HALF. Ford was in some of the biggest and best movies EVER. She was in stupid Ally McBeal. What an injustice.

3. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

You've got it all wrong... Ford was married to another woman, but has gotten a divorce from her (and is now with Flockhart). The $118 million was the settlement for his ex-wife.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Somehow I doubt that the judge considered the quality and quantity of movies when he was ruling.

And I for one would be appalled if that constituted valid criteria for a divorce settlement.

5. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Uh, thread title needs to be changed. It's not Calista Flockhart.

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Out of curiosity, does that $118 million represent half of their assets? If so, I would agree that it's a travesty. If it were 25% or so, I'd say it's more reasonable, even though the number is staggering.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

He means "in exchange for Calista Flockhart". It's tongue-in-cheek. But you have to know the facts to get the joke.

M.

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Good for Ms. Mathison. Given HF's recent behavior, I think she deserves every penny. [​IMG] There used to be a time when you'd at least wait until the divorce was final before you started openly dating again.

I heard she also gets a share of any future residuals he receives from any of the movies he made while they were married, as well.

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yeah $118 million is a lot. But since it's roughly half, that means Ford's still got $118 million himself. Since they've been married for a long time, this is one of those instances where she deserves the cash (not like Anna Nicole Smith).

And hey, Ford's like, what, sixty? I think he can live comfortably off of that 118 million until it's his time to go.

But dear god, man, you can do better than Calista! [​IMG]

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

With his recent duds, and now the divorce settlement, maybe HF will get a "move on" with Indy IV.

Come to think of it....$118 million is probably more than what the last 2 HF movies made at the box office.

11. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

And probably the opening week gross for Indy IV. [​IMG]

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

So, that's about 1.2 mil a pound? [​IMG]

-Vince

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Vince, that's brutal! [​IMG]

14. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

But funny!

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

And, unfortunately, probably accurate. [​IMG]

16. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

This seems outrageous to me. But perhaps she made the case that she gave up her career for his. She hasn't done much since ET that may be what happened, and in that case I think she deserves a good sum, but I'm not sure $118 million and future earnings is fair.

Now since he made the Star Wars movies before marrying her, does she get anything for those? What about the SEs?

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

As Michael has pointed out, California is a community property state. With the caveat that I’m not a lawyer, the short way it works is, the couple’s assets are considered in total and each individual gets half. Any assets his wife has get added to the couple’s total as well. The total essentially makes no difference and who contributed how much makes no difference, as the assets are considered the property of both, or ‘community’, as it were.

18. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

By the way just so everyone knows any assets that you bring into the marriage are yours and don't automatically become community property.

So if HF marries again his next wife doesn’t get half of the 118 mill if they divorce later on.

19. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

That was the point of my question. Wasn't most of the cast of the Star Wars movies given a percentage of the profits? Which would mean they'll continue to get paid basically forever. But those deals were made before he married her, so does she get any of that or not?

What's unfair is that the article I read indicated she didn't have to give him anything. Then again perhaps that was based on the fact that she didn't do anything substantial while they were married because ET was written before that.

20. Grant B

Grant B Producer

From Even Hitler had a girlfriend