What's new

1100 bucks..what combo would you get? (1 Viewer)

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
I guess another way of saying what I'm trying to say is that if you asked most people who have matched amps and speakers , they would rather make any other change to their system before "un-matching" amps/speakers (assuming that they are happy with their amps and speakers performance)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Actually, Matt, the comparison I did between the two systems was in the exact same room, and a lot of tweaking was done with both systems to try to get the most natural sound as possible. You have to agree that not all matched systems outdo unmatched systems on a price/performance ration basis.
As for people with "matched" systems, I am sure that, the majority of the time, they would change any part(s) of their matched systems if the end sound was a large step up from the previous sound of the "matched" system.
Matt, I think that you are putting too much emphasis on matching components, and it may be because you, yourself, have a matched system which you really like, and you are defending your own purchasing decisions. I fully understand this, as most people would go to the ends of the earth to explain and defend their purchasing decisions. But I am just letting you and the rest of the posters know that I have had a few experiences where matched systems have not sounded as good as unmatched systems of equal price. I myself had a matched Rotel system with B&W speakers that was trounced by my newest system of a Anthem pre, an Odyssey amp, and AAD speakers, and the newer system, in terms of sticker price, was the exact same, if not less, than my matched system. Also, with my parents system of top of the line Adcom equipment and KEF speakers was trounced by my newer system. which cost about half of theirs. If you are defending your purchase, then go and discuss your positive personal experience with you equipment, but by no means make total blanket statements about things without giving examples, or even leaving the possibility that your stance may, in some cases, not be true.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
I myself had a matched Rotel system with B&W speakers that was trounced by my newest system of a Anthem pre, an Odyssey amp, and AAD speakers, and the newer system, in terms of sticker price, was the exact same, if not less, than my matched system. Also, with my parents system of top of the line Adcom equipment and KEF speakers was trounced by my newer system. which cost about half of theirs.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
Chung, I think you're missing the point...I'm not discussing weather or not brand x speakers sound better for less money than brand y ...I would glady give up a matched set-up for a "better sounding " pair because I still do a lot of 2 channel listening, but what I am talking about is assuming you are NOT replacing your main speakers because you are totally pleased with them ,then I believe that matching your system AROUND those speakers will yield the best result...I'm not saying that I haven't heard better "mismatched" systems than my matched one but I am saying that to maximize the sound (once again assuming that I'm not changing my front soundstage) of the mains so that the performance is most consistant in multi-channel, you need to match..... of course if I did have to give up a matched system to get a better pair then the first thing I'de be thinking of is getting the matched center and surrounds:D ;)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Hey Matt,

I know your entitled to your opinion and that the slight alterations and vocal/timbre matching will annoy you with different amplification... But maybe try and put yourself in Tommy's position and think about his equiptment and experience before posting.

One more thing, If you want to argue more effectivly, at least keep your premises true and consistent. Also keep them relevent to your conclusions and provide sufficient support. Also consider your assumptions and keep them consistent with your conclusions.

If I had the time I'd use some argumentative wit to rip every thing you said apart but I forgot it all cause it was last semester. lol

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Matt, you are completely missing the point. By Tommy looking to improve his front soundstage amps, he is looking to improve the overall sound of his system, not to improve the matching of his system. The way that you have gone about your arguement is bordering on the rediculous. The fact is that the best sounding components, when SOMEWHAT matched, yeild the best sound. The fact of the matter is not that the best matching of equipment yields the best sound. I think that by trying to "match" everything, you are looking for too much consistency from channel to channel, while you neglect to mention that in true multi-channel, the signal going to each speaker is never the same, and for the most part sonic irregularities exist between the front soundstage and the back soundstage from the audio track itself.
Think about it this way. You have a basketball team, and instead of getting two dominating post players who are big, strong, and not exceedingly mobile, you decide to get two small forwards who can match your existing style of play by running the floor and dribbling, even though your team already has three good small forwards and a bevy of gaurds. It just doesnt make sense! Sometimes the best "MATCHED" teams, or systems, are imbalanced so that they can cover the full spectrum of possibility.

p.s. I guess you answered my question about you owning a matched system that you like. I am just asking you one thing, if you have the capabilities, try adding in a phenomenal 2 channel amp to your system (Krell if your system is inherently bright, Odyssey or B&K if it is naturally warm) and see if it improves the overall performance of your system. I am 99% sure that if you do a double-blind, you will conclusively see that your system improved. The 1% is there because I have no idea what system you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks