10ft+ Component cable for the PS2 other then Monster

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Br, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Mark Br

Mark Br Extra

Hey guys,
    Finally got my PS2. I would like to use a component cable. Right now I only have a TV, but in the near future I plan on having a HT system, so I would want a component cable that would allow me to be flexibe in where I position the PS2.
    The longest cable I found was the Monster cable at 10ft. Now the monster cable is really expensive, but at the same time I want a high end cable because I plan on spending a fair amount of money on my HT system.
    so I guess I have two questions:
    1) What is the longest and best component cable to buy for the PS2. I know Monster is the most expensive, but from what I hear that doesn't make it the best.
    2) Where is the cheapest place to get that cable (USA or Canada and Internet purchase or B&M)
    3) I've never used a component cable before, Can I use regular audio cables with it?
    Thanks very much.

2. John Coleman

John Coleman Guest

Mark,
    I work for a premium audio and video cable company, Cobalt Cable, and I think I can give you a few answers.
    The component video spec calls for three, 75-Ohm RCA video cables. These cables can either be bundled together, or sepperate. I typcially use bundled cables, but I have known people who have gotten fairly decent performance from using three single RCA composite (RCA video) cables (one for each channel).
    The component video connection is typcially a high-bandwidth situation, which can be fairly demanding on cables (especially in long-cable situations). I typically put a high premium on performance of my component video cables, because, in my opinion, quality matters. There are other cables where absolute performance is not so much of an issue, but that is definitely not the case with component video cables.
    However, the question I would ask you is if you are planning on having your PS2 be your primary DVD player. If so, I would definitely try to put my best foot forward with the component cable you choose.
    There are lots of places online that will sell longer cables, at fairly reasonable prices, and even a few that will custom build them for you.
    I hope this helped you out. Please feel free to e-mail me privately if you have any further questions about cables or connections. It is always my pleasure to help you out.
    ------------------
    John Coleman
    Cobalt Cable
    [email protected]

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

well you've got several options depending on how much you're willing to spend. On the cheaper side check out the AR cables at http://www.accessories4less.com

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Mark,
    For component output from the PS2, there are 2 choices for good quality: Monster or AR/Interact. The AR/Interact cable is 6 ft as opposed to the Monster which is 10 ft, but the AR cable is half the price of the Monster. If you absolutely have to have a 10 ft cable, then the Monster is your only option. If 6 ft is good enough, go with the AR. You can find the AR/Interact cable at www.avconnect.com for $21.25. Also, both of these component cables are video only. If you use them, you will also need to hook your PS2 up to your receiver via a digital toslink cable for sound.
    A regular component cable won't work for a PS2. It has to have the PS2 plug on one end.
    [Edited last by Tim Markley on August 07, 2001 at 10:34 AM]

5. Allan McLachlan

I have found out that the "good" component video cables for the ps2 such as the ones from monster and AR only carry the video portion no analog audio cables... to get the audio you have to use the optical out to a reciever or get the Sony component video cable with the three video outs and two audio outputs if you just have a TV...

6. Mark Br

Mark Br Extra

hey guys,
    Ok what I have gathered from your responses is that there are only 2 high quality component cables available for the PS2. The AR which is 6ft and the Monster which is 10ft.
    sorry if this sounds dumb because Im a little confused, I dont have a receiver yet but I will in the future. For the meantime can I use standard audio cables in combination with either the AR or Monster PS2 component cable? because everyone keeps saying that to get the audio you have to use the optical out to a reciever..which I dont have yet.
    Thanks.

7. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Mark - No, you can't use standard audio cables with either the AR or the Monster component cable. The only way to get audio from the PS2 while using these 2 component cables is through the digital toslink cable. There are no audio out jacks on the PS2. The Sony component cable does include audio cables. If you want component, this is your only choice. I wouldn't buy any of the cheaper component cables. If you're not absolutely stuck on using a component cable, you might want to consider getting the S-Video cable from AR or Monster. I use the AR S-Video cable for my PS2 and it works great.

8. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    Radio Shack
    part # 15-1509 is a 12ft "Audio/Video" cable that can be used as a component cable. Even though all 3 cables are not marketed as "75 ohm", they do indeed appear to be. I'm using one of these right now, and it works well. I've also heard of others using this same cable (or its 6 ft companion) as component cables, with good results.

9. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

A few of you need to read this post a little bit better. The PS2 cannot use standard audio/video cables. It has a proprietary A/V output.
    Mark:
    If you're connecting your PS2 directly to a TV, I would suggest just getting either the Monster or AR S-Video kit. Both of those kits include analog audio cables, which you'll need if you don't have a receiver of any kind. The Monster and AR component video kits do not include analog audio; only video (I'm still puzzled as to why they actually decided to do this). If you really need 10 ft, your only real choice is the Monster kit (packaged as Gamelink 300).
    ------------------

10. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I was using the PS2 as my DVD player for the past 8 months. I had it connected with the Monster S-Video cable and Monster optical digital out. If you do not have a receiver, your best bet would be to use the analog audio cables that are part of the Monster S-video cable. You will not be able to get digital sound from DVDs or games without using an optical cable going to a DD receiver.
    -Chris