What's new

1080p (1 Viewer)

Brian*K

Auditioning
Hi everyone,
When I went to Tweeter a couple weeks ago to look at some RPTV's, the sales rep was mentioning that there was going to be some advancements in HD, specifically 1080p. I dont' know if that's true or not, but I had a general question about all these. Is 1080i better than 720p? And who broadcasts what? Since i've been gone from the HT world for so long, I haven't kept up.

How about DVDs? All these players have progressive scan features. How does this work? Is it 1080i, 720p, or whatever? Which looks better? Thanks for the advice!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Better with what display??? The type of display you have usually dictates what you send to the display. The source seems to matter very little if any at all as HD is just that, high def, you generally select the output you desire on your STB, cable, or sat box.

The idea, is that with a fixed pixel display (DLP, LCD, Plasma) that you set your output of your DVD or other source to the native resolution of the diplay.

Most CRT owners always set it to 1080i..

A progressive scan DVD player will output 480p (ED Res), upconverting players will output at 720p and 1080i.

I'm not sure I helped answer your post much at all though.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
What the rep is basically saying is that 1080p is the next step and it is on the horizon, so you might as well wait until the fall to see what the new offerings will be. Essentially, he is right. Because if you want to have the best possible HDTV to last going forward you want 1080p just to be safe. And even if you don't, all the current 720p/1080i sets will get much cheaper when 1080p makes the scene. So I would wait ;)

But to the question of is 720p or 1080i better, there is a huge debate there. Effectively though for the average user they are both hi-def resolutions and look equally good for most material you would display. Get an HDTV that handles both 720p and 1080i and don't worry about which is better (you'll have both.)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm this thread did get me thinking some....

Currently none of my HD Res source devices support outputting this resolution, so I guess a 1080p display would have to scale to that or at least line double 1080i?????

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
progressive scan players will output 480p, and upconverting players may upconvert to some designated higher resolutions of your choosing.

yes 1080p displays will usually have on-board or attached processing like any digital display, to scale to their native panel resolution. Otherwise you are responsible for feeding it the native resolution from a 1080p source, but this isn't the case with consumer gear...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Chris. I never thought about it much till this thread.....

Sometimes I don't see the forrest for the trees... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks