JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Optical cables do not carry HD Surround.

As far as where the problem is, there is a chance it's before the receiver, but maybe I should have said that since you lose video and not audio points to it being after the receiver.

hdmi handshake can be voodoo. It could be the PS3. Like I said way back, I had a Panasonic BR player that kept dropping hdmi, regardless of how many cables I tried. I have a lot of equipment, and nothing else drops. I do know that when there is an hdmi problem, it can be infuriating trying to find where the problem is. It's frequently not where you think it is.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, troubleshooting something like this is best approached systematically and without making assumptions. Start with the cheapest and simplest solutions and work your way on from there until the problem is repeatably eliminated.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I think you already solved your problem - from earlier posts:

“Just on a whim, I changed the PS3 to 720p. It's been a couple days and I haven't noticed the picture or picture AND audio flicking off.”

“Do you think that any of this is because my tv is only 720p ?”

-- If your TV is only 720p - then there is no need to send it anything above that signal, as it will just be thrown away anyway. It looks like in your case, your TV is having issues with the 1080 signal.

Just leave your PS3 set to 720p, and your issue goes away. You won't have to spend any $$$, and your PS3 will do the down conversion for you instead of your TV.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I think you already solved your problem - from earlier posts:

“Just on a whim, I changed the PS3 to 720p. It's been a couple days and I haven't noticed the picture or picture AND audio flicking off.”

“Do you think that any of this is because my tv is only 720p ?”

-- If your TV is only 720p - then there is no need to send it anything above that signal, as it will just be thrown away anyway. It looks like in your case, your TV is having issues with the 1080 signal.

Just leave your PS3 set to 720p, and your issue goes away. You won't have to spend any $$$, and your PS3 will do the down conversion for you instead of your TV.

Even though my tv is only 720p, I do notice the difference between HD and 720p....as little difference as that may be. I put my ps3 on 1080i instead of 1080p and didn't notice the flickering all last night.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Even though my tv is only 720p, I do notice the difference between HD and 720p....as little difference as that may be. I put my ps3 on 1080i instead of 1080p and didn't notice the flickering all last night.
This is because your TV can't handle a 1080p input. Problem solved.

ohiograd06

Grip
Real Name
Shawn
Kind of interesting your set will do 1080i when it's a 720p set. Because 1080i should still be as many lines as 1080p, but without the progressive scanning. Definitely feel free to test, but from things I've read, since 1080i is interlaced, when you start getting into heavy action scenes and what not, you may have more screen tearing etc than at 720p.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Kind of interesting your set will do 1080i when it's a 720p set. Because 1080i should still be as many lines as 1080p, but without the progressive scanning. Definitely feel free to test, but from things I've read, since 1080i is interlaced, when you start getting into heavy action scenes and what not, you may have more screen tearing etc than at 720p.
The manual for the tv said that it can accept and display 1080p signals and then, I guess, downconverts them to display in 720p. Don't know why the PS3 has trouble with 1080p when I don't notice anything with my blu-ray player.....oh, well.

ohiograd06

Grip
Real Name
Shawn
As far as I'm aware, that's basically how it works. The tv can accept it the input, but then has to downconvert it to fit the physical screen. Maybe it just handles the handshake with the blu ray player better. Not sure. Or perhaps the ps3 is pushing more pixels to it because it's a game with input and not just playing back a movie? In any case, I'd set the PS3 to output in 720p, or 1080i if you like that better and it works, and be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks