What's new

1080p vs 720p in the real world? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Something just occured to me while considering the issue again in passing. Yeah, we keep pointing out that our eyes may not be able to make out the resolution difference between 1080p vs 720p when the viewing distance is great enough, which is probably the case in practice for most average consumers (and even some of us HTF members).

But besides discrete pixel resolution, there's also the issue of perceived color depth, no? And I'm wondering if 1080p won't still convey better color depth than 720p even when the eyes cannot fully distinguish one pixel from the next at a given viewing distance. Afterall, if the source is 1080i/p, the 720p display will need to scale the image down into the 720p discrete resolution space w/ no chance for the eyes to perceive greater color depth. Of course, I'm not talking about a tremendous viewing distance where there's no chance of that, but I'm refering more to the more marginal/gray area distances that many people might experience w/ a 40-to-50" display in a more typical livingroom arrangement.

OR am I just completely off the wall, out in leftfield, shooting in the dark here? :D

_Man_

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
"Color depth" would technically be the same for both, depending on what you really mean by the term. The typical viewing distance for the "average" living room would likely be far enough where 720P and 1080P could not be distinguished from one another by the average consumer. Scaling performance might be recognized as superior from a 1080P display in the case of a more discriminating viewer. It's just difficult to make conclusive statements without knowing the details of the specific display, who the viewer is, and how far away. Generally speaking, 720P or 768P displays can be very satisfying in this context.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks