1080p - Should I wait?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Shaughan, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Shaughan

Shaughan Stunt Coordinator

So looking at what is coming out of CES and reading a lot of the articles on places like http://www.hdforindies.com/ I am coming to the conclusion that LCD TVs with 1080p inputs are going to be widely available in 06 - I am looking at 40" LCD displays now but I am thinking of waiting - thoughts?

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

It sounds like you answered your own question.
    I personally would wait for 1080p inputs before buying a TV.
    Blu-ray will support 1080p and if you want to display that native resolution, you will have to wait for 1080p inputs.
    If you simply want current HDTV, 720p/1080i will suffice.
    But why hamstring a new investment?

3. Shaughan

Thanks, Chris. That kind of mirrors my thoughts too.

4. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I guess if you're willing to wait... I purchased the Sony 42A10 back at the end of August / early September. While I'm very glad I have it, and love the picture quality, I do wish it supported 1080p (even though the 720p clips I have look great). I'm actually considering selling it when BD comes out and getting a bigger SXRD set, or making it a bedroom set. I'd kind of like to see how much better 1080p actually looks over 720p. I know it's a huge jump (even larger than from 480p to 720p) but how much of that difference can you see?

Brian

5. Shaughan

I shoot video on a Sony Z1 HDV camera. It's max resolution output is 1440x1080i. I encode to 720p and 1080i in post with this and the difference between them is stunning.

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, I just bought the Sony 50" SXRD that supports 1080p and even though I haven't actually seen a 1080p signal on it, it's a fantastic TV. You can get a TV with 1080p now, and think of it as a way to "future proof" your investment.

Now, will they get cheaper down the line? Absolutely, but so will everything. It all depends on what you want to spend on a TV.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Unless Sony offers a firmware upgrade, you will not be seeing a 1080p signal on your new Sony at all. While their current SXRD RPTV's will display video in 1080p, they only accept up to a 1080i signal -- which is then converted to 1080p for display.

Sony did announce a new 55-inch model at CES, but I have not seen whether it will accept a 1080p signal.

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

That's true about the Sony. There is A LOT of confusion and misconception about 1080p.

9. John Titan

John Titan Stunt Coordinator

Does HDMI support 1080 pogressive or are we looking at an even new type of connection.

10. NateS

NateS Agent

I recently purchased a Toshiba 56HM195, which is their 1080p 56" DLP model. To date, it's amazing. Watching the NFL in HD on this set is unreal. However, am I going to have a firmware issue to recieve 1080p content, as Scott said?

11. Shaughan

This is exactly why I am thinking of waiting on this. None of the current displays will take a 1080p input signal. Since the difference between 1080i and p is merely and interlace issue I cannot see why it would not be able to be sent across HDMI.

I am probably going to wait for SED technology with 1080p input before I buy.

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Since we seem to be at another cusp of a technology change in HD displays, I'm waiting, too. However, in my situation waiting is easier, since I have a five year old Toshiba 56H80 HD display that is still working well (although it does not have any HDMI inputs). If my Toshiba was to die tomorrow, though, I would have a tough decision to make.

13. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

My 10 year old Toshiba was dying and I had to replace it. After a lot of back and forth I bought a 56" 720p JVC D-ILA on sale plus a 10% off coupon (and a little horse-trading on cables and a Westinghouse 32" LCD) at Best Buy. I decided it was my best price/performance option for the next 5 to 7 years, which is the earliest I would expect to be acquiring any 1080p source material anyway. I couldn't justify spending the extra money for the Sony SXRD (in either a smaller or bigger size than I wanted, since they don't make a 56") or waiting and still paying a premium for the JVC 1080p.

When the dust settles in the hi-def DVD wars, and digital broadcasting has gotten out of the nursery and all the technology has matured a bit, I'll look at 1080p (maybe SED [​IMG]) for my next HT monitor. (And move the JVC to my home office. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

14. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

The SXRD's are having some color uniformity issues. Also, the blacks don't get inky black.

15. StuartL

StuartL Auditioning

Well, for all you SXRD skeptic "experts", I plunked down the heavy money for a new Sony 60" SXRD just before Christmas...
    Best Buy had it between several other brands, and I thought the resolution (even at standard HD) looked superior to the others. I am extremely happy with my purchase, and am eagerly awaiting seeing something that utilizes the full capability. Side by side, I could definitely see a smoother, sharper image on this screen than on other brand's standard HD screens.
    I will add comments later, but currently I am very happy with its performance.
    Stu L