1080p, should I wait for it before I buy a new TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChrisDumont, Jul 8, 2003.

1. ChrisDumont

ChrisDumont Agent

well I'm considering spending money on a new TV. This will probably be my largest purchase yet (planning on spending around $3000). But I dont really feel like buying another new TV in a few years if 1080p comes out then. Should I just get a Samsung DLP now?

2. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

Yes, get the DLP now. Or some other HDTV. Waiting is never a good thing because SOMETHING new and better will always be around the corner.

3. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

Chris, I doubt 1080p TV's are going to hit yours and my price range anytime soon. Look how slow 1080i is to get cheap, although they do get cheaper.

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I'm with Rick, get the best available today. There will always be something better just around the corner.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What would be nice is if the display could natively display 1080p (1920x1080) rather than just accepting 1080p and downconverting to a lower native resolution. Your wait for an affordable display of that type would be a long way off though.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I wouldn't wait forever, but I *would* wait until September and make up your mind then.

Why? there is an industry rumble (can't tell you too much more w/out getting in trouble) that some pretty amazing new break-through products will be available *shortly* that will acheive new levels of picture quality at very affordable prices. This applies to both front/rear projection. If you can hold off just a few months...you might be rewarded. Once everythings out on the table after CEDIA then make up your mind on what to do (just my advice).

Keep in mind folks that I totally understand the usual waiting game and how you can wait forever bcs there's "always something right around the corner". Well this time there *really* is something and it's not just a little better or a tad cheaper...it's something significant...

[​IMG]

7. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Dan,

you're absolutely right. Never meant to imply that product annoucements = instant availability. But my point is that the information we get in September will help one to make the best decision all things considered. If the perfect projector at the perfect price is announced for release 6 months later...one could decide if one is willing to wait it out or buy what's presently available. If some great product is announced to hit the streets 3 weeks later with "production is up and running and the units are being shipped to retailers as we speak", that might be a no-brainer depending on all the factors. could go either way with each and every product/technology announcement.

IMO, it's worth the wait even if just to be sure given the certainty surrounding the "something" that is about to happen.

-dave

9. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

I think it's worth waiting till September. On the 1080p front, the Toshiba 57HL83 is due then, however its ~$5000 and it doesn't take 1080p input (rather, converts everything to 1080p). Still reportedly crisper picture than anything else on the market.

If you only have $3k, forget about 1080p this year, but I'd still wait until September. The Philips Cineos LCOS & RCA DLP 720p sets should be out by then; might be better than the Samsung in some respects.

At that time also look at the CEDIA offerings and decide whether you can hold out yet another 6-12 months.

Buying right now doesn't make much sense to me; there's not much new HD stuff to watch during the summer anyway since it's rerun season.

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

David, by any chance are you talking about the about the "new" system that Motorola is licensing out?

11. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

12. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Those are all things that *are* happening at this time...
    but specifically what I'm referring to is a very *large* company that currently does not manufacture video displays is right now demonstrating a new projector based on RGB lasers (no fan, no pixels, no bulb) in non-disclosure scenarios with a working model that is rumored to be production-ready. It's also "leaked" that the front projection model being viewed...which is said to blow all current digital projection technology away cold...may be priced at or below "top Rear-Projection TV prices".

Naturally, rear-projection models (for even less) based on the same are expected. Add to this a couple of new tricks that TI has up its sleave for DLP (both increasing quality and decreasing cost) and it's all going to be *very* interesting...

I also have "heard" that TI could bring 1920 x 1080 DLP to the market if they wished...but are hoping to let OEM manufactuers "milk" the current 720 stuff a little while longer to make the most out of their investment in current HD2 gear (sad for me, understandable for them). However, if another company dropped a cheap 1080-res laser projector in the market's lap with awesome picture quality...1080 DLP might be a card they'd be willing to pull out to try to fight back.

Stay tuned folks. It could turn out to be an exciting next few months.

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Absolutely amazes me just how fast technology is moving and how obsolete displays get the moment they leave the showroom floor.