1080p RPTV: $4K / FPTV - $20K?!?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Colin Dunn, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    Looks like street prices for 1080P RPTV devices are reaching the high $3000s/low $4000s. But I'm not seeing any signs of 1080p FPTV devices anywhere near this price range. Everything I've read so far shows prices near $20K.

Why would it cost 5 times as much to make a 1080p FPTV but only $4K to make an RPTV?

Or are there FPTV products at more reasonable prices coming to market during 2006?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The Ruby is down at$10K, 1080p LCOS. That is a HUGE drop in price from the 004 which was $30K 1080pLCOS, and adds a dynamic iris. Incredible value move, IMO.

1080pDLP chips are on the horizon, don't know what kind of prices though, hopefully cheaper for 1-chip, and hopefully not $30K+ for 3-chip stuff.

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Colin:

I really have never been able to figure out why something that has no box to it is cheaper than one that comes with no only the box, but a mirror, etc.

Mostly it is a matter of scale. They sell more of the RPTVs than they do FPTVs. That has been changing of late and I would hang on for a few months and you will probably be seeing some nice 1080p units from Infocus, Panasonic, Sharp, etc. Its just a matter of time. And they will be cheaper than the same thing in a box.