1080p question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by benjaminBen, May 27, 2006.

1. benjaminBen

benjaminBen Stunt Coordinator

When are networks going to start broadcasting in 1080p???

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    What makes you assume they ever will? The DTV conversion requires stations to broadcast in digitl and allocates "x" amount of bandwidth. It doesn't require stations to broadcast in HD and doesn't tell them how they have to allocate that bandwidth. Stations can elect to broadcast several SD channels and subchannels, 1 full bandwidth HD channel, or any combination thereof. Given that there are hardly any 1080p displays in American homes, many affliates who could not retransmitt 1080p signals even if the network sent them and serious compression issues with satellite and cable even at 720p (which some networks use for HD) and 1080i, I don't see 1080p broadcasting as inevitable or even likely.

Regards,

Joe

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    P.S.

I think this would be better placed in "TV and HDTV Programming" since it doesn't really have anything to do with Display Devices.

Regards,

Joe

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

(copied from another forum)
    You can get close to what you might expect for 1080p broadcast quality from any 1080i broadcast that is not a standard def' upconversion.

You need (1) a good de-interlacer, as little as $1500. for a Lumagen HDP and (2) a 1080p TV with 1080p HDCP input.

1080p 30 frames per second uses no more bandwidth than 1080i. 1080p 24 fps uses less bandwidth and is fully adequate for film source. These are valid ATSC fromats and ATSC HDTV tuners accept them but convert them to 1080i as a common denominator for all HDTV sets. 1080p 60 fps cannot be broadcast in the ATSC standard.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. benjaminBen

benjaminBen Stunt Coordinator

thanks

6. Doug Z

Doug Z Stunt Coordinator

Small hijack if I may....IF all goes to 1080P, what will become of all the current display devices that are 1080i? Can 1080P only be viewed on a device capable of 1080P or will the current sets be compatible?

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

1) See the first reply to the original post. "All" is most certainly not going 1080p. Apart from hi-def DVD (and not even all of that) very little is going 1080p.

2) Any digital display (or set-top box) can upconvert or downconvert any incoming signal to the display's native resolution. There are thousands of 720p HDTVs out there at this very moment happily converting 1080i HD singals to 720p and they'll do the same with 1080p from HD-DVD or Blu Ray or (if this ever happens) from broadcast, satellite or cable. Hell with a set-top box you can watch a 1080i or 720p HD channel on your old analog TV. (Granted the signal will only display at 480i but you can still watch it.)

Regards,

Joe

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Note: The 1080p recorded on Blu-Ray and HDDVD disks is [email protected] or [email protected] depending on the source. It is a no-brainer to make 1080i out of 1080p and all of the players do it for you. When you select 1080p from one of the players, you get each frame twice from a [email protected] source and the player imparts 3-2 pulldown for [email protected] sources.