What's new

1080p DVD Player Question (1 Viewer)

I'm getting a 1080p TV. Do I need a DVD player that does 1080p to take advantage of it, or will the TV itself decode a 1080i signal to 1080p?

Thanks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea. What's the TV?

Assuming it's a newer digital 1080p display, then yes it scales everything to it's native 1080p resolution. This scaling may or may not be of high quality, so there may be benefits to using external scaling instead of the scaling provided by the display.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It will scale everything to 1080p. I have no idea whether it will do it well or poorly. So no, the benefits of external scaling are not moot, but yes you will be getting 1080p on everything. You may not 'need' to have any kind of scaling to get 1080p, but you may want one to get 1080p that looks as good as it could.

I wonder if I should buy the new Oppo player that does 1080p or the older one that does 1080i. I know the older one gets raves, but if I let the TV convert the signal, I might lose the benefits.

John Chevalier

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a 61 inch samsung 1080p. I am using a panny rp82 for my DVD watching. It has a max output of 480p. If I use 480p or 480i, my TV automatically displays 1080p anyways, so does it matter if I select 480p on the DVD player? I turned it off, and for some reason, DVD's look a little better, but I dont want to be missing something by not having 480p.

sb73

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Baggett
Follow-up question along the same lines...

I'm getting a Denon 2807 AVR. I noted the receiver has the ability to upscale the input video signals to an 1080p output via HDMI. I intend for the video output to be HDMI to my HDMI input on my TV (1080p).

I have an older DVD player with both component and s-video outputs.

The question this raises for me is whether or not it matters which video output I choose from the DVD since the signal will be converted to 1080p.

Would there be any benefit of using component video out of the DVD player vs. s-video out if the Denon is capable of converting the signal to HDMI?

Thanks.

-Steve

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

The DVD should be deinterlaced before it's scaled. So, if you send your display 480p, that means the player deinterlaces it -- the display then scales it. If you send your display 480i, the display will deinterlace it to 480p then scale it. It just comes down to which does a better job of deinterlacing - your player or display. The HQV Benchmark Test disc may be worth picking to do some objective comparisons.

John Chevalier

Stunt Coordinator

Dave, thanks for the heads up on that test DVD! I just ordered it, and should have a fun time once that comes in. I should be in all day testing out every possible setting there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks