What's new

1080p DLP's around the corner (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I'm really excited about these and I could easily see myself getting one this summer when they come out. I'm counting on you folks to devil's advocate me to the moon in the meantime. ;)

AWESOME!!

1080p DLP Hotness is a go!

Any cons? One thing that bothers me on some of these new TV's is what I like to call the "patio screen effect." I'm sure you all have seen this before. You see the obvious criss crossing lines on the picture and it really looks like you're looking through a thinly veiled patio screen. I don't think these DLPs have that problem, either.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Not so sure, I want to buy one of the 1st gens... But hey somebody has too.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I understand your point. Definitely some caution has to always come into play.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Patio screen effect is more commonly refered to as SDE = Screen Door Effect....

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Once the FP's reach 1080p at around $1000-1500 then I will update my CRT. Shouldn't be too long. I'm looking for an excuse to buy another FP...

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
1080p projector. Please note the price differences. ;)

DILA 1080p

To my knowledge, that's the only one I keep seeing advertised in magazines, although I'm sure the other projector brand names are bringing out simillar products.

That price makes me want to weep. WAY out of my consideration. Downright insane.

James Phung

Second Unit
DLPs aren't affected by burn in. DLPs use thousands(or should I say millions) of tiny micromirrors that reflect light through a color wheel. If anything, you have to worry about "stuck" mirrors which would be similar to a dead pixel on LCD. You don't see many DLPs with stuck mirrors thanks to the Quality control at TI. I visited the TI offices in Plano, TX and they were literally handing out actual DLP chips. I'm sure these were defective chips with either a stuck mirror or dirt on a mirror etc.

I've got a pic of the one they gave me. Pretty cool. :)
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...cat=500&page=1

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Question:

(I'm quoting someone from another forum who made a very good point and he said it better than I probably would:

Can someone clear this up for me please?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Only about $8,000 more than Samsung will price their 1080P 55" DLP...

It's likely ALOT better than the Samsung(in fact there is a glowing review of it in S&V this month) but $8k is 8k.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
For an $8K difference, I would certainly hope it would be APPRECIABLY better. ;)

Shane, as I understand it, a VERY small minority of people have seen the so-called rainbow effect of the DLP's. I know it's something to be aware of...

I've also heard about "D* HD Lite" and that's one of the reasons why I haven't really felt compelled to make the jump from the fairly solid cable that I have now.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong. I liked having D* alot. Their non HD channels look good or as good as what I have now with digital cable although I will admit that the non digital channels look like crap compared to D*.

HD channels: No comparison. And the cheap HD DVR 2 tuner 6412 makes it an easy move for me. That said my options are open and I'm not tied to staying with my current cable setup.

Well S&V believes it is the bomb at the moment. Nothing touches it. I wouldn't doubt it. A Qualia vs Samsung 1080P comparison will get interesting..

Still 1080P is pretty fringe stuff. The vast majority of even us folks are only able to swing the money to be able to buy a 720P set if we're lucky(if we rule out CRT).

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
^^ You can get your FP Jack...for 5 figures. $20,000 is the cheapksate way to do it! ;)

Shane, I agree with your point: I know that the DLP rainbow effect is out there and possible. Do we know whether or not the forthcoming line of these DLPs will have "three chips" instead of two, as you mentioned earlier?

I'm going to link to the AVS "master" thread about these new DLP's, since there's just an insane amount of information in the first post alone! And lots of pretty pictures! ;)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=493443

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks