What's new

1080p Displays (1 Viewer)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
With 1080p being the standard that many want to obtain at the moment for their HDTVs, how far are we away from having HDTVs in a higher resolution than 1080p? And if so, with the human eye even tell the difference after 1080p?

The reason I ask is because the Holy Grail for a piece of film is it's native 4k resolution. We're aways from that but, in the future, will we ever have displays and High-Def DVDs at 4k resolution?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Not sure but there are many forces against better than 1080p in the hands of consumers:

1. Tremendous amounts of storage, transmission bandwidth, processing power and the associated costs,

2. Complexity of the display and the associated cost,

3. Reluctance of Hollywood to want to provide program content for fear of pirating, except under strictly controlled conditions with associated costs.

When you mention 4k resolution of film, do you mean the limitation of the film grain structure, the resolution of the subject matter on the original that was shot in the camera, or the resolution of the subject matter on the n'th generation copy that is projected in the theater?

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
A few days back, in another thread, someone brought up a article, which purported to say that 720p was the ne plus ultra of resolutions. When read more closely, it was obvious that the study said no such thing-- merely that the British were too staid in their viewing habits to purchase displays large enough (or to sit close enough to smaller displays) to make any investment in 1080i technology worthwhile.

It all came down to angle of view. The human eye can resolve about 1.054 minutes of arc. If a screen occupied 67 degrees of arc, then perhaps all those 4000 pixels could be appreciated.

To put it another way, if I installed a 16:9 4000 pixel display, to be viewed from a distance of 10 feet, the screen would measure 180 inches (15 ft) on the diagonal.

I'm sure it would be cool and all, but it's sort of beyond any notion of budget. On the other hand, I do recall a somewhat recent thread along the lines of

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
The resolution of the subject matter on the original that was shot in camera, Allan.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
One benefit of 3820x2160 resolution is simpler scaling of current high-def, e.g. doubling pixels of 1080, and tripling for 720. I don't think it will be long before the technology will be available at an affordable price either, Dell already has a 30" LCD monitor with 2560x1600 resolution (twice the pixels of 1080) for only $2199 list price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks