What's new

1080p CRTs (1 Viewer)

John*F

Auditioning
I know the answer most likely is probably not, however i thought it was worth the shot of asking if anyone knew of such ideas (a 1080p crt). Thanks any information would be appreciated.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
When I read the article about the new 4K digital scanners used in mastering I remember reading of ultra high end direct view CRT Tv's in Japan that could resolve 4000 lines of horizontal resolution . i don't think they were available to consumers.

From memory electron guns can scan pictures at over 160,000 MPH SO 1080 p is achievable. Why it isn't implemented I have no idea.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Plenty of 1080p and higher capability CRT's (FP) in the used market. I wish I could find one locally.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes they exist. Not really in the consumer world, however you can find them very cheap. Many CRT computer monitors can scan to 1080p.

John*F

Auditioning
I know computer monitors are capable of 1080p. I would really like to see a 30 or 34" television available for me with all the convenient features of any Hdtv. I figured it might be a possiblity since the larger lcds are available now in 1080p. The reason i ask is because i have been looking at the sony xbr 34" and i really like it but i also was thinking about holding off for smaller lcds to become available in 1080p with multiple hdmi inputs.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
From what I understand, you'd need to be incredibly close to the screen to discern 1080p from a lower resolution formats especially at a size less than 42" (even then you need to be as close as 4-5 feet). Probably something like 1 foot away at a size of 34".

willyTass

Supporting Actor
On my SONY XBR910 the difference between 576i and 576p is negligible. You have to have your nose about 10 inches from the screen, and the difference equates to a smoother, less staircased appearance to diagonal edges.

And this is at 576 lines of horizontal resolution.

Imagine how miniscule the difference would be between 1080i and 1080p. Only those who will be blowing up the image onto a large screen would benefit from 1080p.

If you're quibbling between HD-DVD and Blu-ray and 36 inches diagonal will suffice grab yourself an XBR960 (or other super fine pitch tube) because it simply doesn't get better than that.

The one caveat would be a release in 06 of SED

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There is no question that if space and weight are not a problem and you are not looking to go much higher than 34-37" then a quality CRT is still the best bang for the buck in terms of HD picture. Right now a lot of manufacturers have dropped the price on CRTs because they are not as attractive to the general public.

As others have stated, with what are now referred to as "smaller displays" (I remember when my old 32" Sony XBR was considered HUGE back in the 80's!) you'd literally have to place your nose to the glass to notice the difference between the higher resolutions. But now with the emphasis on boxes in the 42"-50"-60"-65"-70" and beyond range (obviously I'm omitting front projection here) the CRT has its limitations. The largest commercially available CRT I ever saw was a 40" model and, as I recall, it weighed about as much as a Mini Cooper.

;)

And, of course, hanging a 34" HD CRT on a bracket in the kitchen or other place is more often a major chore than most people wish to tackle. I never argue the merits of quality of good CRT images against any of the other technologies if we are talking about black level, etc. However, some of the digital formats are getting so close (and 4K promises to get even closer or even to surpass some of the analog stuff) that the day will come when CRTs will only be practical in highly specialized situations.

This has been playing out for some time in the Front Projection Market and it is now extending into the "regular" TV market as well. I predict that in 10 years or less the CRT vs. digital "argument" (if one wishes to use that strong a word) will be relegated to the same category as the Vinyl vs. CD disagreements. Interestingly, there are a lot of parallels in both cases and there will always be supporters for opposing positions. That's one of the things that makes this all so interesting (and passionate for some).

But whatever the display, enjoy the show!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks