What's new

1080p Budget projectors (1 Viewer)

gcochran223

Auditioning
Real Name
gordon
my sony aw15 has served its purpose well with over 8500 hours of use in the past 4 years.bulb one lasted almost 6000 hours and ebay bulb 2 lasted 2500.its a 720p projector and at the time i believe i paid around a thousand for it and am hoping to stick right around that budget range but hopefully getting a 1080 this time.does anyone have some success stories with a projector around this range?
the room is 20x20, i have a 85"screen
75% of viewing is done at dusk or night and there are windows in the room
$1000 budget
hdmi 1080p preferably
if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it, looking online its so hit and miss and spending $2000 on a projector is an option at the time. any info is appreciated thanks, gordon

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That's kind of a small screen. What's your seating distance? With a $1,000 budget, most of your choices will be DLP.
1) Do you want LCD or DLP?
2) What is your throw distance?
3) Are you going to ceiling mount it?

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V11H373120-N
Or watch for other deals on the Epson clearance center.
Just a suggestion

gcochran223

Auditioning
Real Name
gordon
i have a 14ft throw distance for my 85" screen, projector is mounted in the rear of the room via celing mount. i think a DLP projector is more into my budget than LCD. i do like the epson projector reviews i am reading.the only other projectors i ever installed or used was a sony because we were a dealer at the time, now im with a different contractor. does anyone have experience with Viewsonic?i am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for" so the bottom of the barrel isnt too appealing. if it came down to it a 720 would be fine due to i dont pay extra for the bluray dvds therefore its usuallu 480 i believe,the only plus to 1080 is HD cable when there broadcast in hd.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I checked the "Calculator Pro" at Projectorcentral.com with your 14' throw and 85" diagonal screen. The cheapest DLP is $1,499, the Benq W6000. The cheapest LCD is $1,299, the Epson 8350. The problem you have is the small screen size from that throw distance. If you had a larger screen, you would have more options. How far do you sit from the screen? The Viewsonic Pro 8200 is a popular projector, BUT the smallest the image can be from 14' is 90" diagonal.

gcochran223

Auditioning
Real Name
gordon
yes i wanted a larger screen on the opposite wall, but the furniture layout wouldnt work and the opposite wall has a french door and that killed my screen size. my projector position can be moved forward or backwards. its 14 to the lense and i could probably go back to 16.5". seating is right below the projector at 14-15 feet.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You need to move the projector closer to the screen, not further. For DLP's under $1,000 you have 2 options for your 85" screen.
1) Viewsonic Pro 8200 - Lens must be between 8 ft. 8 inches and 13 ft. 3 inches from screen
2) Optoma HD20 - Lens must be between 9 ft. 3 inches and 11 ft. 1 inch from screen
I would go with the Pro 8200 in your situation. Check out the review here and at Projectorreviews.com

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Gregg Loewen said:
Viewsonic Pro 8200
For a real crappy PJ, it looked quite good for 3D. I would not use it for 2D viewing though.
For a "crappy" projector, it got good reviews at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com. It wouldn't be my first choice in projectors, but that and the HD20 are the only 2 DLP's that will work under $1,000.

gcochran223

Auditioning
Real Name
gordon
i did a little more research on the 8200 and it seemed to get decent reviews from some manufactor websites, worst i seen was compaints about the two speakers, which i can handle that.thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks