1080i vs 1080p

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Stefan_H, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Stefan_H

Stefan_H Auditioning

Hello how are you?
    I understand that HDTV is 1080i and the new HD DVDs or Blueray dvds will use a 1080p signal.
    Is it hard to find a projector that can play this signal, or is it worth worrying about having?
    Thanks
    Stefan

2. John S

John S Producer

To scale is to digital HDTV. I am sure even 720p displays will display 1080p content wonderfully.

It is worth worring about though, more resolution on a digital panel is a darn good thing in my opinion, even though I am a firm believer that even 480p panels are quite good and respectable displays for any HD content.

1080p projectors are still expensive even though the RP models are actually a little less expensive than I expected.

3. John S

John S Producer

PS: When talking digital displays there is no Interlaced, so your really talking about the difference between a 720p display and a 1080p display.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

1080i versus 1080p may refer to the formatting of the source material as opposed to the formatting of the video signal.

The existing ATSC HDTV standards already have [email protected](fps) and [email protected] I doubt that the new 1080p DVD will provide [email protected] which is twice the data rate as the preceding.

If the player were to output a [email protected] video signal using [email protected] material the player would simply output each frame twice. For [email protected] source the player would generate 3-2 pulldown on [email protected] output as well as on 1080i(@30) output.

We might notice that [email protected] consumes less storage space than 1080i.

There are economy, good, better, and best ways of displaying 1080i on a 720p TV (or vice versa). Economy ways provide no more than 540 lines of vertical resolution on the screen. The best ways require motion adaptive de-interlacing with 3-2 pulldown recognition and retention.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm