What's new

1080i or Faroudja DVDP for 26" WS HD Monitor? (1 Viewer)

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
I just bought the 26" Samsung widescreen HDTV from Sears (no payments, no interest until 3/05) to replace my 18yo Toshiba 26 incher which has been having more and more problems. This is my bedroom TV and the 26" WS is just the right size. So now I'm looking for a new progressive scan DVD player to replace my old non-progressive Panasonic DVD-A120. I've been reading here and at AVS and am unclear, on a 26" widescreen HD monitor, where would I see the most visible benefit -

1. From a player with a Faroudja deinterlacer like the Denon DVD-910 or Panasonic RP82/XP30?

2a. Or from a player capable of upscaling to 1080i like the Momitsu V880 or the Norcent DP-501M?

2b. And if the latter, since my TV doesn't have a DVI input, does the Momitsiu have any other benefit(s) over the Norcent that make the extra $100 a worthwhile expense?

Thank you very much for any comments or suggestions,

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
For a smaller CRT HD set you would be better off with a good 480p player, like the Panasonic XP30. The DVI upconverting HD models are for fixed pixel displays like large plasma or DLP sets.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Don,

Thank you very much for the reply. Do you think a low to mid-level Faroudja DCDi based player would make enough of a difference to be visible on such a small display? I mean, a "decent" non-Faroudja, progressive scan players can be found for under $150 where as lower end DCDi players start at $250-$300.

Again, thank you for your time and thoughts!

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I use a 34" widescreen HDTV CRT set and upgraded to the Faroudja-based XP30 and definitely saw a huge difference in quality over the under $150 models I've used in the past and tested recently. I would never recommend anything less now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks