1080i DVD Upconversion Issues

mattalgrand

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I have a Samsung HD-860 Up Conversion DVD player connected from HDMI to DVI on a 50’ DLP RCA Scenium HDLP50W151. I've set the DVD player's output at 1080i even though the native resolution of the TV is 1280 by 720. Whenever I play DVDs these very annoying (I’m going to describe this the best I can) horizontal shadowy blocks that shift up and down between moving objects or people occasionally appear. In addition, however much I attempt to calibrate the tint the image is noticeably green. I never see this occur with DISH Network’s HD channels (which are recognized by the TV as 1080i) or when I set the upconversion DVD output to 480p. It's most likely the Scenium itself because there's no way in hell a 480p image should look better than 1080i.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
If the native resolution of the TV is 1280x720, the 720p option on the upscaling will generally render the best picture quality. This is because the TV's scaler won't have do much conversion at all to display the image.

Any HD-compatible TV can accept a 1080i input signal (they have to be able to do this for a lot of HD broadcasts), but if the native resolution of the TV is 720p, the TV's internal scaler will downscale the video information to display correctly at its native rate, 720p.

If 480p output from the DVD player looks better on your TV than upscaled output, it's very possible that your TV has a better scaler than the DVD player does (yes, this is very possible). Not all "upscaling" DVD players are created equal. Upscaling players that do their job well usually employ Faroudja or Silcon Optix chips.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Druiz23