What's new

1080 Up-Conversion DVD player makes things blurry? (1 Viewer)

Dain.H

Auditioning
Just recently bought a new HDTV:
Prima 1080i progressive scan.. not sure what the model number it is.

and a new DVD player:
Toshiba SD-4980 720p/1080i Up-Conversion with HDMI.

Now my question/problem pertains to the whole up-conversion thing. In order to enjoy high def with my dvd player I found out I have to use a HDMI cord. So I bought one and I hooked it up. I must say that I can see a noticable difference in the colors. But I can see that things are blurry.. it seems that the farther away an object is the more blurred it becomes. Objects that are close seem fine. I think that may sound a little confusing so ill give ya an example.

I was watching Kill Bill vol1 to test everything out and if there was say a close up of Uma Therman it would be fine. However if it looked like she was standing far away in the shot, say with her sword in hand, there are no straight edges or curved edges. Everything is distorted by noticable lines going through the image giving it a blurred effect.

I dont know how to put it any better than that.. But I'm thinking it would be better to just switch to component video if this isnt fixable. Anyone know whats going on? I dont think my TV accepts 720p which sucks cuz I think that would fix it. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks.

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a digital camera, take some pictures of "blurry" screens and post the link. I'm curious about what exactly you are seeing.

There isn't anything inherently bad about 1080i resolution. Maybe your TV is faulty.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Is this a new setup, or have you tried turning off the upscaling and seeing what the content looks like that way? I don't know if you are just seeing source limitations in DVD, or an actual scaling or other issue.

DVD is an SD format, so in longer shots a lot of fine detail is obscured and may look somewhat "blurry." But it may also be the case that your system has a weakness somewhere. Can you make comparisons to other systems that you've watched the same content on? Or a different DVD source to your display? etc.

Dain.H

Auditioning
I do not unfortunately have a digital camera, however I am going to my sisters tomorrow so ill be able to borrow one from her.

As far as different systems go, I may be miss-understanding you (I'm still quite new to all this despite all the reading I've done) but.. I've watched the same dvd on my old 20in CRT with my PS2 as the dvd player and the problem I am having was not visible. Of course there was no up-conversion in that setup so this is probably irrelevant.

On the other hand I have just watched the same DVD on the same setup except that I am using an S-Video cable instead of the HDMI-DVI cable. The blurry effect from before is not present. I have also tried different DVDs with the HDMI-DVI cable, all of them have the same problem.

(Found an AVIA DVD for a good price, I bought it so I am sure that will help out quite a bit.)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
So, it sounds like it's a source processing issue. Use the mode that gives you the best picture, you seem to indicate that even s-video output gives a better picture. Use that if necessary in the meantime.

And then, perhaps look to getting a better quality source. I'm not even familiar with the "Prima" brand, so I assume that the performance problems are relate to this being a cheapie off-brand player.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Chris,

As I understand the OP, Prima is the brand-name of the display. The source is a Tosh player. Cheers.

DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks