What's new

1070 or 1075 amp with 1055 receiver? (1 Viewer)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Hi all, I'm hoping to get a Rotel HT system in the near future but I'm trying to figure out which way to go. Please consider that going with Rotel will exceed my original estimate to my wife by about $1k which will be a big deal. Also, 7 channels of amplification is a must. What I'm trying to figure out is whether I should go with the 1055 receiver and a 1070 to power the mains or if I should try to convince my wife to let me spend another $300 and get a 1075. If I go with a 1075, can I configure the receivers internal amp to power the two rear speakers? If this isn't feasible, I guess that would answer my question too. I already have a 2CH system upstairs so the use of the system will probably be around 95% HT/5% music. I'm not interested in multi-channel music. For primarily HT use, will I notice a big difference in sound between the 1055 and 1075 amps? If it is worth it, I'll consider making sacrifices or putting myself in the doghouse for a while.
For speakers I intend to get Rocket Package #2 (750,200,300) with a pair of 150's for the surround back channel and a SVS 20-39 PC+.
I know an audition is the best thing to do but my local Rotel dealer does not carry their receivers. The salesman I spoke with didn't even know Rotel made receivers unitl I asked about them last week. So needless to say it will be a special order item and I need to find a more knowledgeable salesman.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Might I suggest this site: www.htguide.com
There is a forum there called Club Rotel, members of which are very knowledgeable about Rotel products.
I'm not familiar with Rotel receivers myself, but I am confident in saying that there is probably very little difference between the current Rotel receiver and the 1066 pre/pro (I'm currently home-testing a 1066, and I own the RSP-976, its predecessor).
I think using the receiver with a two-channel outboard amp would work fine. The receiver you're looking at is rated at, I believe, 75 watts per channel. That should be plenty for your planned setup considering Rotel is very conservative in its power ratings.
Good luck.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Alex,

I have a 1055 being used as a preamp. I use a 985mkII and a RB-1070 as my amplifiers. The combo sounds great with my Klipsch speakers.

If 2 channel music is your prime concern I would just go with the 1070. The amps in the 1055 are a real 75 watts/channel. They are stable at 4 ohms.

At normal volumes I honestly cant tell the difference between the 985's amps and the 1055 amps for HT use. If I start to push the volume to the extremes I'm able to go about 5-6db louder with the 985's amps. This is about 10db louder than refernce levels.

The 1070 is a great amp. Music seems to have more substance to it.

For the money figure about $1150 for the 1055 and about $600 for the 1070 you can have a system that will sound better than most $3000-4000 receivers, imho.

Earle

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,
I am exactly where you are on this subject, trying to figure out which configuration to purchase. I have included the Outlaw 950 and the Rotel 1066 in my equation just to make things more difficult. My dealer has nothing in his shop either. Definitely try out "Club Rotel" linked above. Looks like the 1075 for only about $270 more is a real deal compared to the 1070. Seems like the extra 3 channels may really come in handy someday. An awsome upgrade someday would be to add a strong (200 amp or so) 2 channel amp for the front L/R and leave the 1075 for the center and rears. (I wouldn't bring up the option of "later upgrade" to your wife, if she is anything like mine!)

Good luck!

Joe

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your advice. I actually posted at Club Rotel prior to posting here but have yet to receive a response. As much as I'd like to get the 1075, I don't think its in the cards. I'll give it a try though.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks