1066 & spl meter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Warren Hubbs, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Warren Hubbs

Warren Hubbs Agent

I'm trying to calibrate w a spl meter for the first time....while using the avia disk, in speaker identification the pink noise comes from both surround channels when it should be coming from one or the other...however when using the test tones in the 1066 set up menu...all channels are separate...........any idea why?........thanks........... (i have a 5.1 set up w none entered for the reaer center channel)

diva 6.1 4.1 c3 vtf3
    rotel rsp 1066
    sherbourn 5/1500a

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Hmm this one is interesting. Are you positive you have them wired in properly? Is this a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 setup?

3. Warren Hubbs

Warren Hubbs Agent

explain wired in properly........ran 5 rs gold interconnects from preamp outs on 1066 to 5 channels on the 5/1500a, from each channel on the amp to each corresponding speaker...each channel of the amp is separate...just the correct channel from the 1066 to the correct speaker.....yes?....(first set up of ht)...thanks for your time

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

How do you have your DVD source configured in the 1066? Is it auto selecting DD?

5. Warren Hubbs

Warren Hubbs Agent

where would i find that?..(dvd source config)..cant find it in menus or manual

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Warren Do you have the rears pluggd into CB1 and CB2 or into Rear Right and Rear Left? Also are the surround back channels turned on in the setup menu's? I believe these are correctly set up since the test tones from the Rotel seem to indicate that but if you have the surround backs turned on and you don't have speakers back there the XS processing might be confusing the results.

7. Warren Hubbs

Warren Hubbs Agent

i have them plugged into right rear & left rear......none selected for rear center channel in speaker setup..........the 1066 is not auto-detecting as it says in the manual

8. Paul Clarke

How is the DVD connected? What kind of audio cable...optical or coax? In the setup menu there are sound mode options...is there a list of options for Dolby Digital? Check your selections carefully.

9. Warren Hubbs

Warren Hubbs Agent

dvd is connected with digital coax....surround mode options?......should auto detect......... i change modes manually to dts..(is this the mode i should be using for 5.1 playback of 5.1 source?)..in the manual it says dd EX can be manually set by pressing plII then it is memorized for future dd listening.....EX makes center back channels from surrounds.....witch may be causing my problem..(i have selected none in center back speaker set up so this shouldn't affect me right?).......

10. Paul Clarke

Time to contact Rotel. I ran across your posts on this over on the AVS forum as well. From your descriptions something sounds seriously wrong. I cannot imagine any setup configuration which would allow what you describe you're hearing.

11. Warren Hubbs

Warren Hubbs Agent

dvd output was set to bit stream...changed to Dolby digital....& bingo...all separate...all is right in the world.....thanks to all who replied

12. Paul Clarke

Ah hah! Glad you got it worked out.