1066 Owners, Would You Buy It Again?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas_H, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Douglas_H

Douglas_H Stunt Coordinator

If you had it to do over again, would you still buy the 1066?
    Have you been satisfied with Rotel's support of this piece?
    Do the "issues" affect your day-to-day enjoyment.
    For me, deciding on a pre/pro has been much tougher than I anticipated.
    Seems that some of the manufacturers are still coming to terms with effective implemention of software.

Thanks.

Doug

2. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely I would buy it again. I have never had an issue with mine and it works great. I don't use sacd or dvd-a and I don't use it for video switching which seem to be pretty big problems with others so take it with some salt. I also love the user upgradability.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate buying it again. My only dilemma would be over whether to get the 1066 or the 1055 AVR. While the home theater experience through the unit is extremely pleasing to me, my biggest joy is the improvement I have when listening to two channel sound. I've made quite a few changes to my system recently and I'd have to say going with the Parasound 1205A amplifier was the most significant. But, the sound/processing of the Rotel is vastly superior to that of my Onkyo receiver imo, again not so importantly to me with HT as with two channel. Besides, my wife and I both love the looks of the silver unit.
    As for the problems associated with the unit, Rotel seems to be responding to consumer concerns and addressing those issues raised. I think increasing the bandwidth from 10 to 200 Mhz was especially significant for those who use component switching. As far as the double-bass issue, lots are anticipating a firmware fix for this too. I'm the type who waits until I see it before believing it. Still, for the money, I'm very happy with my Rotel.
    I'd post this over at Home Theater Guide and see what responses you get over there.

4. Kris Coffin

Kris Coffin Stunt Coordinator

Yes, and No.

Yes I would buy it again because it is truly an amazing sounding product, I couldn't be much happier. I too have no issue with the vid switch, as I am not running Component outs yet, and never use dvd-a or sacd.

and no, because I really needed more connections than the Rotel has, and I knew this from the start, but figured I could make things work, and in essence they do, but I have to keep making changes in the menu's to accomidate for too many digital hookups, but this is no fault of Rotel's.

KC

5. Daniel Lindgren

Daniel Lindgren Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I think I still would choose the RSP 1066. There are some new models on the market since I bought my RSP 1066 (late June), but it seems like I made the right choice. The RSP 1066 always (?) gets good reviews, even when compared to much more expensive equipment.

The 10 MHz to 200 MHz upgrade was needed, but I can live with my 10 MHz version since I don't have any component video equipment. And if I need to, I can upgrade it (for about $100) to get the video improvement.

6. Gregg_M

Gregg_M Stunt Coordinator

I have had my rotel setup for about 5 months. I would not hesitate to do it again. It makes my speakers sound even better. The pre/pro in silver are gorgeous. Every manf. will have their problems and issues. I compared the sound quality to many other products (dragged my speakers with me) and for the price i could not justify the additional 1-2k for what was supposed to be better pre/pro and amp setups. This allowed me to purchase a Denon 3800 dvd.

Gregg

7. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I would.[​IMG]

8. PaulXH

PaulXH Stunt Coordinator

I have owned a Rotel 1066, Sunfire TGIII, and now a Lexicon MC-1. I will trade my Lexicon in once the new MC-6 comes out first qtr. The Rotel holds it's own with the Sunfire, but it can not touch the Lexicon. My answer is I would buy a 1066 over the TGIII, but I would pick the Lexicon over the Rotel.

Paul

9. Douglas_H

Douglas_H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, especially Brent![​IMG]
    I need to wade through the official 1066 thread to get a handle on exactly what the bass management issue entails.
    If necessary, I could add an ICBM.
    I do need video switching but that should be moot now.
    Gregg_M: You make an excellent point. The money saved over an AVM-20 or RDC-7 goes a long ways toward a Pass amp.
    Wow,have speakers, will audition. I'll bet that raised some eyebrows. Definitely the silver one.
    Paul: Interesting that you prefer the 1066 to the Sunfire.
    If you feel like elaborating a bit on the differences, please do so.
    I hesitate to buy a prepro used. I think having dealer supportwarranty is worth the extra $$$.
    Thanks guys for helping me decide. I think I'll take a little audition trip this weekend. A nearby dealer handles both Anthem and Rotel.
    Should be interesting.
    Doug.

10. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I'm currently evaluating a 1066 in my home while my Rotel RSP-976 is being serviced. The first thing I noticed when I hooked up the 1066 was how much louder my sub seemed. I ended up lowering the volume of the sub to a bit under zero. Two channel music sounds tremendous, much more detail and depth than the 976. My wife loves the five channel stereo feature.

As far as the other modes: We don't have a seven-channel system, so I won't comment on DD EX or DTS ES. Dolby Pro Logic II sounds different than the old Pro Logic, but I don't believe it's dramatically better.

We don't have DVD-A or SACD, so I won't comment on the multi-channel output feature.

Capability wise, the 1066 seems to be able to do more with a touch of the remote button without having to go into the On-Screen Display as you must with the 976.

Considering I don't need many of the upgrades the 1066 offers, I probably won't buy it. The 976 does what I need, works as a respectable pre-amp and is still relatively new. Besides, I have a two-channel music-only system.

However, the overall improvement in sound quality, both music and HT, makes it a very tempting piece of equipment. It's starting to look comfortable in my rack!

11. Gregg_M

Gregg_M Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

My speakers are not common around michigan (spendor) no dealers, so to get the sound I wanted and to make the choice, I un hooked them from my marantz and went auditioning. I can not tell you enough how well my setup drives these wonderful sounding and inneficient speakers. Good luck with your quest.

Gregg

12. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I would buy it again, in a heartbeat! I had an AVM-20 in house to compare, and the difference soundwise was minimal. I know the AVM-20 got more tweaking options, but for 1/2 the price, the RSP-1066 cut it. I've returned the AVM-20 and put some money on new speakers, making a bigger diffeence in my system.
    I use the Denon DVD-3800, with an internal BM for DVD-A, and the X-30 crossover, so double-bass is not an issue for me.
    I was lucky, and I got the new batch with 200MHz bandwith, so I'm switching my DVD-player and my HD signal w/o problem.
    I'm really please with the RSP-1066, and IMOO, it's the best quality/price ratio on the market right now.
    Using it with a RMB-1095 and RB-1050, with Paradigms all-around. 3 of my friends bought the RSP-1066 after hearing it at my place. I'm now a real Rotel fan-boy!!![​IMG]

13. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

I too would not hesitate to buy the 1066 again. I compared mine to a TGII and I concluded that the Rotel sounded better. It was also cheaper which made the choice easy. I have one of the newer units which switch component at 200MHZ but it really isn't an issue for me since I'm using S-vid switching. The double bass problem isn't an issue for me either since I'm using my Rotel strictly in a dedicated HT.

14. Mike Ilano

Mike Ilano Extra

Yup I would buy it.......[​IMG]
    MIKE
    OUR HT!

15. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

Most definitely yes.