1050$ to buy EVERYTHING NEEDED FOR HOMETHEATER!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sergio Stephano, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Sergio Stephano

HEY ALL! i already have a vcr, cables, speaker stands, and tv stand..now all i need are the components for it i have 1050$ to spend! All recomendations helpfull. i need a tv, dvd player, speakers, receiver, sub(but this can be bought in the near future). I have a small room, as this is for my bedroom and im only 14 years old and have been saving up for a year =), so i dont need a gigantic tv! Please everyone ALL suggestions helpfull need input soon thanks

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i dont think you can get quality stuff AND a TV with $1050. see this thread for everything BUT the TV...what Alex posted originally is the best for

3. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

For $1000 you can't have it all... you can choose (1) good picture or (2) good sound. For a good picture, choose a Samsung 27" digital with vertical squeeze ("widescreen mode"), and skip the sound for now. Get a $150 DVD player. For good sound, get a $400 TV, a $150 DVD player, and a Kenwood HTB-504.

If you try to optimize both you will get a lousy analog picture and crummy sound. Best to do it incrementally over time.

4. Sergio Stephano

i see what your saying, but i can't find that samsung 27inch tv it sounds tempting tho

5. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Mine is model TSK2790F. I expect the model numbers are changed now, but I'm sure they still make the 27" flat-screen digital with vertical compression. Or, maybe for what I paid you can now get a 32".

6. Sergio Stephano

All in All is tha ta good tv?

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Sergio,
    This link is a bit dated, but is a thread on a system that was in the $300-400 dollar range that included all but the TV. The poster who started the thread was amazed at the sound quality that came out of the system.
    Link:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=26722
    For more recent, all-in-one sound systems, you can follow the link listed below.
    Link:http://www.cnet.com/electronics/0-67....html?tag=prmo
    You're on a pretty small budget, so I'd recommend that you be patient until just the right sale comes along. I'd also check out Ebay and places like that, but of course you'll have to be careful to also do things like research the seller pretty thoroughly. If you shop wisely, I feel that you could still end up with $700 or so for the TV. Sometimes, a place like Costco will have a very decent TV in that range. Don't be discouraged. You may just make it here.

8. Sergio Stephano

Does everyone thinki should buy that samsung 27inch digital tv? or is it too small for an hdtv? and too pricey for 1000 dollars.

9. Ashok

Ashok Agent

You could go with a $500 or cheaper 27" TV, a Kenwood HTB-504, and a $150 DVD player. Or you could switch the Kenwood out for a cheap receiver and some ~$200 main speakers such as Paradigm Titans or Atoms. Other speakers could come later. I really don't think that it is impossible to get a good entry-level HT system for $1050.

10. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Sergio,

while I agree with Thomas' advice - save it for college, invest in stocks, whatever. Don't spend it. IF, however, you absolutely MUST purchase a system, start slow.

Get a good TV and a fairly cheap DVD player, a decent inexpensive receiver and the best two speakers you can get - for the front, of course. Run the system with a phantom center until you can buy that.

Then add rears, then add a sub. It will cost you more than $1050 over the long run, but you will end up with a decent system.

Eventually, replace the cheap DVD player with a good one. Chances are this will happen after you replace the good TV for a much better one.

Mike

11. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Save your money and start and e-business or day trade.

I'm 15 years old and have a nice system with a FP, how do I get it? Hard work!

I'm the proud owner of Trustworthy sales inc, my e-business..

I expert in sales on Ebay, Yahoo, and Excite.

So, take that cash, spend half or so on a sound system and use the rest to make more money..

If you need a TV, go to a thrift store and buy someone's old 36 inch tv for $45..

Nathan

12. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

You could get a 32" Samsung for $499 at Sears. The TXL3276 does the anamorphic squeeze for DVDs which will give you a great picture. It also has component video inputs. It's not a high definition TV, but I personally don't think you're going to notice much difference between 480i and 480p on that size of a TV. With the money left, you could get Kenwood home theater in a box...or just gradually buy better quality seperate components which would cost a little more.

I know people are going to say that you should get an HDTV, but unless you're getting HD channels in your area, it simply won't be necessary for DVD on a direct view TV. I have a projection HDTV and the difference between interlaced and progressive on it is there, but it's subtle. Some people claim a night and day difference, but that's greatly exaggerated. Having a TV that uses the full resolution of anamorphic DVDs is FAR more important.

So, yes, I think you could get a decent setup right now with the money that you have, considering it's a bedroom setup.