What's new

1014tx and video switching (1 Viewer)

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that when I have svideo out fromt he receiver to the tv, and then using my dvd player with composite, i get some fuzzy lines, does this upconvert the signal from 200 lines to 400, or does it just allow me to view the signal in only composite form, and will i notice a difference if i switch the dvd player from composite to svideo?

dan_pet

Auditioning
You will notice a marked improvement when you connect the DVD player to your receiver via an S-video cable. Use of composite cabling should be avoided when possible.

If you have the ability I'd upgrade to component cabling.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Don't use the 1014's upconversion--it's horrible. As much as possible use a consistent connection throughout. In other words, if the output to your TV is S-video then make sure the input to your receiver is S-video. Same deal with component. I agree that moving from composite to s-video would be an improvement on its own, not to mention that your receiver no longer has to upconvert the signal. Component is where you want to end up, if the TV has such an input.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
good stuff. I just bought a Philips 30" widescreen tv,30pw862h, and it has 1 DVI input that i will be using with the denon dvd-1910 player, and that will be a direct connection, and then I don't have any other video components to hook up at the moment. I am going to end up using component as "monitor out" cuz i'm considering getting a hdtv receiver, and possibly a xbox in the future.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter

Hmm. For a short while I was transcoding s-video from my DVD player to component (interlaced), and fed that to my projector. While definitely not as good as component all the way, the results were pretty good. Watchable even.

FYI: Please note that the 1014 doesn't do upconversion.

Cheers,
Martin.

dan_pet

Auditioning
Martin,

What do you mean the 1014 doesn't do upconversion? I'm still new at this but isn't taking signal from a composite or s-video and changing it to a component signal an "up"conversion?

Is transcoding and upconversion different?

eric nyhof

Stunt Coordinator
I am using the 1014 and have my dish reciever (s-video) ps2 (s-video) and dvd (component) hooked to it and have them all running through the component out of the receiver for 1 connection to the TV (toshiba 32AF44) and have not seen any problems with the video quality, although I have not hooked these items up individualy to my TV.

The 1014 does switch everything to the component video of the receiver, but it will not upconvert from 480i to 480p, 720p or 1080i to the best of my knowledge.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Yes, and it's very important you understand the difference.

You can view transcoding as essentially taking a cable with one type of plug on one end, and having the other end with a different plug (e.g. s-vid to component). No signal modification takes place.

Upconversion is taking a video signal (from whatever source) and then doing some processsing on it so that it's output resolution is higher.

James Phung

Second Unit
Many manufacturers and other people also refer to transcoding as upconversion also, so that adds some confusion into the mix.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the correction; was using the wrong term. Transcoding on the 1014 is not good. I was converting S-video (DirecTV) to component and the colors shifted, picture became less defined (more blurry), and in general the results were unsatisfactory. "Watchable"? I suppose so, but definitely not good enough for me to live with it, even on a dinky 32" TV.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Hmmm. I didn't have issues like those at all. :confused: I certainly wasn't doing any "critical" viewing that way. Maybe it just met my expectations, so I was OK with it. Regardless, not the way to run things if you can avoid it.

Martin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks